Bachelor of Dance Education
Dance Education is intended not only for the practitioners in the field of Dance Education but also for those general educators who are aspiring to teach the art form. It caters to the needs of Jamaica and the Caribbean region in delivering quality education specifically in dance, which will furnish undergraduates with the knowledge, attitudes, and skills relevant to planning, implementing and evaluating curriculum for dance education at the secondary level. Graduates of this programme may also apply the pedagogical knowledge and skills in other educational contexts, as well as in theatre and production.
- Minimum FIVE (5) CXC subjects with grades 1 to 3 (grade 3 after 1998) or minimum FIVE (5) G.C.E. ‘O’ Level with grades A to C.
- Be at least 17 years old at the time of admission.
- English Language at the CXC/G.C.E. Level (or equivalent) is compulsory for all applicants.
- SCHOOL OF DANCE AUDITION: Auditions are held twice per year, usually in June and July. Prospective students are required to attend one of these auditions. The audition will comprise:
- Three (3) class sessions of Modern Dance, Ballet, and Caribbean Traditional Folk Technique.
- A two (2) minute solo performance presentation in your strongest areas of dance performance.
- International applicants are required to send a videotape or DVD of their performance for assessment in NTSC format. DVD must include:
- A verbal introduction to name and country of origin.
- Reasons for wanting to pursue a performing arts programme at EMCVPA.
- Course choice (e.g. Bachelor of Fine Arts) and desired career path (e.g. teaching, performance).
- A three (3) minute solo presentation in your strongest areas of performance
- A demonstration of skills in at least two dance techniques (Modern or Ballet must be one). For each selected technique, provide 20-25 minutes of skills demonstration. Exercises should be kept short and simple so that the fundamental elements of the work may be observed.
- Include movement sequences applicable to the technique being featured.
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants can register for the TOEFL examinations at www.ets.org/toefl.
About the School
The Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts (EMCVPA) is the premier arts college in the English-speaking Caribbean whose mission is to enrich the aesthetic sensibilities and promote the ... Read More