Computer Information Systems is an interdisciplinary major intended to prepare students in the specialized areas of Web Design, Networking, Technical support, and Programming. Starting from a solid foundation in business and computer concepts, students learn to appreciate and understand the relationships between these two disciplines. The major prepares students to design and implement information decisions support systems: hence, they can fill management, planning, and decision-making roles within any organization. In addition, the emphasis areas will further enable students to fill positions that require specialized skills in computer technology areas. This major also prepares students for graduate studies in business, information systems, or related fields. Graduates from this major may expect to secure jobs as Web Designers, Graphic Art Specialists, Network Specialist/Administrators, Computer Help desk Specialists and Programmers.
Computer Networks and Cybersecurity
Courses in Computer Networks and Cybersecurity may include:
- Criminal Law
- Operating Systems
- Science of Crime
- Operating Systems
Web Design and Programming Languages for Applications
Courses in Web Design and Programming Languages for Applications may include:
- Graphic Art
- Web Design
- Data Structures
- Discrete Mathematics
- Advanced Computer Applications
- Business Communications
- Computer Applications
- Database Theory
- Intro to Computer Science
- Introduction to Visual Basic
- Management Information Systems
- Quantitative Methods
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Management
- Senior Research Seminar
- Simulation Languages
- Visual Basic for Applications
There are over 50 clubs and organizations available to students at Ferrum College. These are specifically related to Computer Information Systems:
- Entrepreneurial Action Us (ENACTUS): ENACTUS offers students hands-on experience in various types of business, from annual competitions to establishing and managing the first Subway restaurant run by college students.
- Business Partnerships: An assortment of courses in this major, offer opportunities to work with local business partners to complete projects.
- Ferrum College believes in hands-on learning in tandem with classroom and textbook studies. Here is how: Internships: Students are strongly urged to explore career opportunities and to establish mentors through an internship.
- Computer Labs: There are several paid positions offered to students in the computer labs throughout campus.
- Work Study: Positions are available in Computer Services for students qualifying for work study.
What can I be with a major in Computer Information Systems?
- Business Programmer
- Computer Systems Manager
- Database Administrators
- Hardware Specialist
- Marketing Researcher
- Network Administrator
- Production Manager
- Software Salesperson
- Software Talent Agent
- Technical Writer
- Web Designer