Computer Science and Information Technologies Study Program
The Computer Science and Information Technologies Study Program at The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (FERI), University of Maribor, Slovenia, EU, is one of the most popular Slovenian Bachelor Degree Programs in the field of Engineering.
The Program offers a wide selection of computer software and computer engineering topics, including Computer Programming, Computer Architectures and Networks, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent Information Technologies, the Internet-of-Things (IoT) and Embedded Systems Programming, Web and Mobile Applications, Computer Graphics and Vision, Computer Animation, Digital Signal and Image Processing, Multimedia and Computer Games.
The Program serves as a foundation for career development in Information technology-oriented jobs, especially for Software Developers, Web and Multimedia Solution Developers, System Administrators, Software and Application Developers and Computer Application Analysts.
Each year, more than 130 Slovenian and 60 foreign (Erasmus) students enter this Study Program, creating a positive, open-minded and highly stimulating study environment. The latter is complemented with high competences and the long-lasting experiences of top lecturers in the fields of Software and Computer Engineering.
In the second year, students choose between two projects, addressing different Computer Science topics, frequently in collaboration with industrial partners. Therefore, the Study Program is designed to encourage students to participate in various projects for industry.
The Study Program is well recognized internationally. In 2020, the Times ranked the University of Maribor in the field of "Computer Science" between 501st and 600th place in the world.
A detailed description of the curriculum
On completion of this Study Program the students will be able to demonstrate competences and skills in the following topics:
Algorithms, Programming Languages, and Software Development Techniques
- Fundamental principles of problem analysis, design, coding, and testing of computer programs,
- Different programming techniques (structured, object-oriented, etc.) and languages (C++, C#, Java, Python, etc.),
- Algorithms and various programming strategies (divide and conquer, greedy method, dynamic programming, etc.),
- Software lifecycle approaches for quality software development,
- Basics in automata and language theory, program design and implementation of compiler/interpreter, static and dynamic typing and different forms of polymorphisms.
In the fields of Web-based Programming and Computer Networks
- Web applications and services with appropriate database and presentation technologies,
- Design and management of computer networks (architecture, protocols, layers).
In the fields of Computer Architecture and System Software
- Operation of specific computer components, their role and performance parameters,
- Principles of operating systems, memory and file-system management and system administration on Unix and Windows-based systems,
- System software tools and optimization of application performance.
In the fields of Computer Graphics and User Interfaces
- Goal-oriented design of user interface,
- Augmented and virtual reality technologies,
- Modern graphics pipeline, 2D and 3D geometrical transformations, local and global illumination and color models,
- OpenGL standard for implementation of graphical applications,
- Different multimedia types, lossless and lossy multimedia data compression, analog and digital audio and video.
In the fields of Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Analysis
- Basic concepts of knowledge representation,
- Inference and derivation of new knowledge using predicate logic and probabilistic reasoning,
- Neural Networks and their use in classification.
In the fields of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision
- Data sparsity and data transforms (Fourier, Z-transform),
- Principles of Digital Signal and Image Processing,
- Basics in Computer Vision and Pattern Classification.
In the fields of Embedded Systems and Internet-of-Things Programming
- Basics of computer engineering techniques,
- Coping with the life cycle of computer equipment, starting from requirements analysis, to the development and production and to final field-servicing,
- Computer systems in real-time (principles, tasks, multitasking, synchronization, scheduling policies),
- Design of a simple multitasking embedded system.
- Minimum age: 18
English language requirements:
- Level B2 (the fourth level of English in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) or equivalent (e.g. Cambridge FCE, Oxford B2 Upper-Intermediate).
English proficiency requirements can be waived for:
- Native English speakers, or;
- Applicants who completed their education in English (such as a High School diploma or IB).
- Documents: The list of required documents is available at: http://portal.evs.gov.si/documents/10157/21c4dba9-ca1d-46c2-ba69-20ae53600cfc
- Qualifications: The list of required qualifications is available at: http://portal.evs.gov.si/documents/10157/21c4dba9-ca1d-46c2-ba69-20ae53600cfc
About the School
The Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (UM FERI) is an internationally recognized, ambitious technical Faculty, which transfers top technical knowledge successfully into the indust ... Read More