Computer Engineering is the study, design, and analysis of computer systems. The discipline covers the general concepts of hardware and software.
The main fields of study include software engineering, computer networks, distributed and parallel computing, computer graphics, multimedia systems, embedded systems, cryptography, security, privacy, database management and information retrieval, artificial intelligence and knowledge-based systems and bioinformatics.
Graduates should be
- Recognized for excellence in technical and professional problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and leadership skills, and excel in careers in national and international companies in engineering, research and development, business and managerial positions,
- Able to perform independent research to help define the frontiers of knowledge in computer science and engineering or related interdisciplinary areas and pursue graduate study at top-ranked universities worldwide to become future national or international academic leaders,
- Innovators and entrepreneurs with a global vision, who can develop new technologies and/or products, and found new national or international companies in computer science and engineering or related areas.
Program Learning Outcomes
Koç Engineering graduates
- Learn advanced mathematics and natural sciences, and gain the ability to apply this knowledge towards modeling and solution of engineering problems,
- Gain the ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems,
- Gain the ability to design a component, process, system, or product to meet desired needs under realistic constraints and conditions, addressing economic, environmental, sustainability, producibility, ethical, social, political, health and security issues
- Gain the ability to select and use necessary techniques, and modern engineering and information technology tools for engineering applications and practice,
- Gain the ability to design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret data for engineering applications,
- Gain the ability to function in intra-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams,
- Gain the ability to effectively communicate in Turkish and English by oral, written, and graphical means,
- Recognize the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning and to reach the most recent information in science and technology
- Recognize and understand professional and ethical responsibility,
- Understand project management, risk management, and change management concepts; as well as awareness of the importance of innovation and entrepreneurship for sustainable economic development.
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context, including health, environment, safety and legal issues,
Computer Engineering graduates
- Gain breadth in computer engineering with required area courses, and provides depth in an area of specialization through 3 area elective and 6 free electives courses.
- Gain advanced mathematical foundation, including discrete mathematics, differentiation, and integration, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability, and statistics,
- Learn design and operation of state of the art computer systems, as well as digital circuit design, computer architecture, operating systems and database systems,
- Gain the ability to apply principles of computer science theory, including data structures, algorithms and complexity, and software engineering in the construction of software systems and hardware and software systems of varying complexity in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
The advances in computing and information processing are transforming society. Computer Science and Engineering conducting cutting-edge research in the areas of artificial intelligence, human-computer-interaction, parallel computing, distributed systems and networks, cryptography, security, robotics, bioinformatics and systems biology, speech processing, computer vision, natural language processing.
Research Areas of Faculty
Barış Akgün (Fall 2016) Robotics, Human-Robot Interaction, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Perception for Manipulation
Engin Erzin Speech signal processing, multimedia signal processing, pattern recognition, human-machine interaction, affective computing.
Attila Gürsoy Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Computational Structural Biology, Biological Networks, Computational Molecular Medicine, Systems Pharmacology, High-Performance Computing, Parallel Computing.
Alptekin Küpçü Cryptography, Security, Privacy, Security in Cloud Computing Systems, Security in Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Networks, Cryptology and Game Theory, Theoretical Computer Science.
Öznur Özkasap Distributed computing systems, Peer-to-Peer systems, and algorithms, Scalable reliable network protocols, Energy efficiency, Cloud computing systems, Computer networks, Mobile Ad hoc networks, Security in distributed systems, Parallel computing.
Metin Sezgin Multimodal Human-Computer Interfaces, Affective Computing and Affective Interfaces, Pen-Based Computing, Computer Graphics and Animation, Intelligent Driver Monitoring Systems, Statistical Techniques in Medicine, Machine Learning and Computer Vision Applications.
Serdar Taşıran (on leave) Formal verification, concurrency, software engineering tools, transactional memory.
Didem Unat Parallel and Multicore Computing, Exascale Computing, Parallel Language, Library, and Tool Design, Compiler Optimization and Code Generation, Performance Modeling and Prediction, Parallel Application and Software Development.
Yücel Yemez 3d vision and graphics, Multimodal signal processing for human-computer interaction, 3d motion capture, and analysis, 3d modeling and reconstruction, Machine learning.
Deniz Yüret Artificial intelligence, Machine learning, Natural language processing.
About the School
Koç University is a leading research and liberal arts university located in Istanbul, Turkey that offers all its programs in English. Recognized globally for facilitating cutting-edge research in its ... Read More