As the Department of Cinema and Television at İstanbul Şehir University, we see the media from a large perspective, as a social tool and art form which is technological and industrial. Our aspiration is that our students graduate and join us as fast as possible as young colleagues with the sufficient scientific and professional assets. Both in Turkey and in the countries of the region, the need for qualified communications personnel is increasing day by day.
There is a special need for generations familiar with world cinema, with advanced visual and numerical literacy, which possess intellectual depth and technical skills and are informed of the operation of both national and transnational cinema and TV industries. Upon their graduation from our department, there will be many professionals who will want to work with our students as a producer, director, screenwriter, critic, copywriter, curator, researcher, reporter, editor, television programmer, new media specialist and visual communications designer.
At the Department of Cinema and Television of İstanbul Şehir University, we offer an education that is in line with the dynamic and critical character of the media world and puts weight on the theoretical as well as the practical. The research areas of our academic staff reflect a curriculum variety without precedent in Turkey, including anthropology, new media, cultural studies, sociology of modernization, cinema history and aesthetics, television sociology.
During their studies at our department, students will gain experience at studios and workshops possessing the newest technologies of the media and communication worlds and have the opportunity to become closely familiar with the media sector while acquiring a critical approach.
CTV Learning Outcomes:
- Graduates will acquire critical perspectives and necessary skills to understand, interpret and use moving images.
- Graduates will be able to understand the interdisciplinary nature of the field of Cinema and Television in relation to sociology, anthropology, philosophy, history, and literature, and posit this discipline as a field of study in the social sciences.
- Graduates will be able to analyze and critically interpret the field of Cinema and Television not only as forms of art and entertainment but also as cultural and social phenomena.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate the historical progress of the moving images not only within the mainstream historiography but also within revisionist perspectives.
- Graduates will be able to distinguish and compare different perceptions, interpretations, and use of the motion pictures in different parts of the world.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate and criticize basic theoretical concepts and philosophical approaches in film theory.
- Graduates will be able to read and critically analyze motion pictures as texts.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate the means of mass communication as sociological and political manipulation tools.
- Graduates will be able to provide a deep knowledge of the historical progress in moving images in Turkey with a comparison to other parts of the world.
- Graduates will be able to combine theoretical knowledge on the principles of Cinema and Television production with practice.
- Graduates will develop appropriate technical skills to employ new technologies in Cinema and Television.
- Graduates will be able to develop hands-on technical skills combined with the basic theoretical concepts.
- Graduates will be able to contribute directly to the different stages in creative thinking and production.
- Graduates will be able to understand and manage the dynamics of the media industry in Turkey.
- Graduates will gain state-of-the-art knowledge for production, distribution and consumption processes in a digital environment.
- Graduates will gain critical literacy for management of current media-producing entities as well as challenges around operating a commercial, for-profit entity while also serving the public interest.
Program taught in: