Official Undergraduate Program Title: Undergraduate Program in Chemical Engineering
Credits: 240 ECTS credits
Duration: 4 years (8 semesters)
Language: first year in Spanish. Rest years are trilingual: Spanish, Catalan, and English. It will depend on the language competences of students and professors
Practical work: Laboratory or pilot plant for 3 hours daily (50% of total class time)
Internships: all students complete internships in companies during the degree
Exchange program: students can participate in international exchange programs with other universities
Academic calendar: September to June
Timetable: Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm
Objectives of the undergraduate program
The aim of an Undergraduate Program in Chemical Engineering, official qualification within the framework of the EHEA (European Higher Education Area), is for students to develop the necessary skills and aptitudes to become a chemist ready to contribute scientific knowledge, combined with ethical and social values, to the control and development of products, goods, and services.
The general objective of the Chemical Engineering program is to provide students with a solid education in chemistry (its fundamental concepts and applications), a modern vision of the core knowledge as well as the professional aspects and responsibilities, in which special emphasis is placed on production methods that are environmentally friendly and sustainable and the generation of products that contribute to the progress and wellbeing of society. It will provide a complementary education in biosciences (focused on the structure, properties, and functions of biomolecules), which enables students to work in an industrial environment where biotechnologies are playing an increasingly important role.
The Educational Objectives of the Chemical Engineering Program are:
To prepare undergraduates who can:
- Apply their knowledge of basic sciences (mathematics, statistics, physics, and chemistry) to the practice of chemical engineering.
- Use the fundaments of chemical engineering in the research, design, development, and application of new products and processes in a wide range of business sectors.
- Communicate technical information in a fashion that can be understood by audiences of all kinds, work in teams including those comprising professionals from different business fields and incorporate new technologies in the field of chemical engineering into their professional activities.
- Practice their profession as chemical engineers in a responsible fashion, with a deeply held sense of ethics with regard to the environment and proper understanding of the impact of their work on the social and economic development of the country.
- Be conscious of the need for life-long learning for their proper professional development.
Skills to be acquired
An Undergraduate program in Chemical Engineering will help you acquire the following skills:
- Understanding and applying your knowledge of chemistry, bioscience, and engineering to the practice of chemical and biomolecular sciences.
- Understanding and using general knowledge of economics, technical English, ethics, and management in the field of chemical and biomolecular sciences.
- Understanding advanced topics in chemistry and biosciences for the practical application of chemical and biomolecular sciences.
- Carrying out lab work to obtain results established in theoretical experiments.
- Using systems, components or processes to obtain the requirements established in the activity carried out.
- Identifying, formulating and solving basic problems in the fields of mathematics, chemistry, physics, information technology, and biology as well as problems in the fields of chemistry, biosciences, and engineering.
- Analyzing, integrating and interpreting data and information in the field of chemistry and biosciences.
- Applying new techniques and tools used in chemical and biomolecular sciences.
- Designing new processes and experiments in order to obtain innovative results.
- Evaluating the risks of using chemical and biological substances.
Students will also be able to:
- Communicate efficiently, both orally and in writing, and will be capable of using English as a foreign language
- Work in a team in multidisciplinary surroundings.
- Appreciate the impact chemistry and biosciences have on the sustainable development of society.
- Incorporate ethical arguments to work responsibly in a professional capacity
- Include contemporary aspects relating to the profession.
- Develop learning skills necessary to undertake future studies and recognize the necessity of constant training for professional growth.
The professional opportunities awaiting a Chemical engineer graduate include the following:
- Companies in which chemical and/or biotechnological processes are carried out, such as the pharmaceutical industry, food industry, environmental technologies, chemistry, petrochemistry, car industry, service companies, paper industry, textile industry, etc.
- RDI teams that develop and employ new products, chemical processes, biotechnological processes, technologies using raw materials and processes involving treatment and reuse of industrial waste.
- Public administration and teaching.
- Postgraduate programs:graduate programs and PhD studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 13, 2018