“Biotechnology” Bachelor program
The “Biotechnology” field of study is developing worldwide. Applying the knowledge in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Chemical Technology, Instrumentation, and Engineering, it uses biological objects (microorganisms, plant, and animal tissue cells) or molecules (proteins, enzymes, nucleic acids) for the industrial production of substances and products useful for humans and animals.
Graduates may be engaged in production technology, project activities, research or management at biological, biomedical and agricultural research institutions, as well as at ecological laboratories of environmental organizations and industrial enterprises, biological wastewater treatment plants and microbiological, pharmaceutical and processing industries.
Apart from being specialists in biotechnological production, the program graduates become breeders, biologists, researchers, managers, and microbiologists.
The medium of instruction for this program is English and Russian.
The fields of professional activity for graduates of 19.03.01 “Biotechnology” Bachelor program include:
- Research, preparation, and application of enzymes, viruses, microorganisms, animal and plant cell cultures, products of their biosynthesis and biotransformation;
- Development of technologies for the manufacturing of new products, including products obtained using microbiological synthesis, biocatalysis, genetic engineering, and nanobiotechnology;
- Development of scientific and technical documentation and technological regulations for the manufacturing of biotechnological products;
- Implementation of biotechnological processes and production in accordance with national and international laws and regulations;
- Organization and conducting of raw materials, intermediate products, and finished products quality control.
Skills and competencies
In the field of research
- Studying scientific and technical information, performing literary and patent search on the subject of the study;
- Mathematical modeling of processes and objects based on standard computer-aided design packages;
- Conducting experimental studies and tests according to a given method, mathematical processing of experimental data;
- Participation in the implementation of research and development results;
- Data processing for reports, reviews, and scientific publications;
- Participation in intellectual property protection activities.
- Initial data collection for the design of technological processes and plants;
- Calculation and design of individual stages of the process using standard design automation;
- Participation in the development of design documents and working technical documentation;
- Controlling the compliance of the developed projects and technical documentation with standards, specifications and other regulatory documents.
Organizational and managerial skills
- Development of operation plans for primary production units;
- Organizing teamwork;
- Participation in developing technical documentation (work schedules, process instructions, safety instructions, applications for materials and equipment, business correspondence);
- Initial data collection and processing for the selection and justification of scientific, technical and organizational decisions based on economic analysis;
- Document preparation and participation in the company quality management system;
- Preparation for the certification of technical facilities, systems, processes, equipment, and materials;
- Prevention of industrial injuries, occupational diseases, and environmental violations.
Skills and competencies in production and technology
- Managing individual stages of existing biotechnological processes, using automated systems, energy, and resource-saving measures, occupational and environmental safety;
- Organization of workplaces, their technical equipment, placement of technological equipment;
- Control over the observance of technological discipline;
- Organization and exercise of incoming control of raw materials;
- Using standard product quality control methods;
- Identifying the causes of manufacturing defects and developing measures to prevent and eliminate such defects;
- Participation in the finishing works and development of technological processes in preparation for new product manufacturing;
- Participation equipment and software adjustment, setting and pilot check;
- Checking the technical condition and residual life of the equipment, organizing preventive inspections and maintenance, drawing applications for equipment and spare parts, preparing technical documentation for repairs.
Training lasts 4 years (8 semesters)
Each student will have a supervisor who will guide them through the educational and practical stages of the program, as well as help them in writing their final qualifying work (undergraduate thesis).
During the 1st to 7th semesters, theoretical and practical classes are held. Students will perform research and experimental work in the laboratories of the Department for Biotechnology and Microbiology at the Institute of pharmacy, chemistry, and biology at NRU "BelSU".
Most of the research work is carried out during the 7th and 8th semesters. At the end of their research activities, students prepare their final qualifying work (undergraduate thesis).
Upon completion of the program, students receive a Bachelor's degree.
The deadline to submit the application is August 8, 2020, however, international students are strongly encouraged to apply by July 18, 2020.
About the School
The mission of Belgorod State University (BelSU) is to solve research problems of international and national significance, to harmoniously integrate the educational, research, social and cultural func ... Read More