Bachelor in Biology
Offered by: Biology
Biology is the study of living organisms, focusing on the structure and development of life and evolutionary processes. In SRU's Biology program, you'll learn about living systems in the classroom, laboratory, and field. You'll develop important analytical and critical thinking skills, and gain vital research and collaboration experience. SRU offers both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences degrees in Biology, as well as a minor in Biology.
Why Choose Biology?
If you have a passion for nature, research, and learning about different life systems, the Biology program at SRU is for you. This major offers a flexible course selection, enabling you to pursue your individual interests.
SRU also offers several Biology degree-plus options with affiliated schools-facilitating a smooth transition to graduate degrees. These include:
- Chiropractic at Logan University and Palmer College of Chiropractic
- Dental Early Admission Program (DEAP)
- Dentistry at the LECOM School of Dental Medicine (Bradenton, FL campus) and West Virginia School of Dentistry
- Osteopathic Medicine at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
- The pharmacy at the LECOM School of Pharmacy
- Physical Therapy at SRU
- Physician Assistant Studies at Chatham University
What Will You Learn?
You'll receive training in both basic and advanced biological concepts. Through class discussions, laboratory experiments, and fieldwork, you'll learn about different areas of biology such as:
- Animal and plant physiology
- Cellular biology
- Molecular biology
- Vertebrate and plant anatomy
Careers in Biology
Graduates of SRU's Biology program go on to a diverse range of careers, such as:
- Biological Technician
- Genetic Counselor
- Health Communications Specialist
- Health Educator
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Pharmaceutical / Medical Product Sales Rep
- Physician's Assistant and Nurse Practitioner
Clubs & Organizations
Beta Beta Beta
Kevin Squires is a biology major at Slippery Rock University. He is actively involved around the campus at SRU. Kevin is involved in organizations such as the Slippery Rock Orchestra and Beta Beta Beta. In addition, he is an orientation ambassador, assistant editor of the Rocket, a pride guide, and he is also one of the founding members of the new Harry Potter club. Kevin is currently doing biology research with one of his professors, Dr. Hrizo. Kevin talks about how his professors inspired him to follow his dreams and pursue his passions.
About the School
Slippery Rock University, founded in 1889 by the citizens of the borough of Slippery Rock, is the region's premier public residential university. The University is shaped by its normal school heritage ... Read More