One of our largest majors at Lawrence, the biology program’s coursework and collaborative research with faculty will help you study and apply your talents to create new knowledge. Experimental work increases in sophistication as you flex your creative muscles and synthesize new information with previous discoveries.
Since biological entities span a range from macromolecules such as DNA and proteins within cells, to organs such as animal hearts or plant leaves, to entire ecosystems, you’ll be exposed to the breadth of biology through courses, labs, local and global field experiences, and research. Your path toward the major will be unique.
You might enjoy this if you're interested in
- Understanding how living things work
- Understanding how living things interact with their environments and with each other
- Conducting research with others and on your own
- Human health and public health
- Ecology, animal behavior, plant biology, marine biology
- Genetics, cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology, immunology, and more!
Lawrentians sometimes pair biology with
- Environmental studies
Life After Lawrence
Lawrentians enjoy careers in
Research (recent areas include molecular genetics, marine biology, human genetics, and more), medicine (cardiology, radiology, pediatrics, internal medicine, surgery, sports medicine, and more), wildlife biology, nursing, veterinary medicine, physical therapy, sports medicine, genetic research, education (elementary, secondary, collegiate), biotechnology, hospital administration, law, marine biology
Recent employers include
Mayo Clinic, 3M, U.S.D.A., U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, New Jersey State Academy for Aquatic Sciences, Shaw Group (environmental consulting), Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, University of California-San Diego
Lawrentians earn advanced degrees in
Marine biology, biology, biotechnology, ecology, medicine, microbiology, veterinary medicine, nursing, dentistry, law, physical therapy, business
Recent schools include
(MD) Dartmouth, Mayo Clinic, Medical College of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Utah; (DDS) Iowa, Louisville, Marquette, and Michigan; (Ph.D.) Boston University, Chicago, Emory, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Penn State, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Wash U, University of Washington, UC-Riverside, Wisconsin; (DVM) Minnesota, Wisconsin; (MPH) Columbia, Duke, Emory, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina, Wake Forest
The Biology Curriculum
Integrative Biology: Cells to Organisms
Integrative Biology: Organisms to Ecosystems
Integrative Biology: Experimental Design and Statistics
Principles of Chemistry: Energetics and Dynamics
At least seven courses in intermediate and upper-level biology, at least five of which must be lab courses
Completion of Biology Senior Experience.
The Chandler Senior Experience
Purposeful advising in the spring of the sophomore year and attendance at BioFest will spark you to think about what you want to undertake for your culminating project. At a weekend Björklunden retreat during junior year, you’ll brainstorm project ideas and further sharpen your focus. Internships, LU Research Experiences, and tutorials may shape your project further, which you’ll launch prior to Term II of your senior year. (More about Biology Senior Experience available in the Course Catalog.)
A sample of recent Senior Experience projects:
(all designed by Lawrentians with their professors)
- Fox Valley Bat Detectives: Using Citizen Science Acoustic Bat Monitoring to Understand Local Bat Activity
- The Effect of Hierarchical Relationship on Social Behavior in a Troop of Japanese Macaques
- A Secret to the Synapse? Investigating Targets of the Transcription Factor, DAF-19, in the Nervous System of C. elegans.
- Effects of Toxic Cyanobacteria on Feeding and Reproduction Ecology of a Copepod from Green Bay, Lake Michigan
- Navajo Tea: A Traditional Navajo Medicine and a Promising Cancer Therapeutic
- Hands-only CPR in India
About the School
Lawrence University is a top-ranked private residential liberal arts college and conservatory of music that is devoted exclusively to undergraduate education. Located in the welcoming Midwestern the s ... Read More