After completion of this study programme students will be able:
- To understand principles of immune, nervous and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects;
- To work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations;
- To apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions;
- To apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data;
To analyze diversity, morphological structure, composition, nourishment, reproduction, life cycles, classification of biological objects, to characterize biological object systems, their functioning and interaction.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas:
- The field of biology is wide open, with diverse career opportunities available in health care, industry, environmental consulting, product development, forensics and governmental agencies.
- Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry.
- Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
- Most popular jobs of graduates: zoologist, environmental scientist, biological technician, medical laboratory technologist, scientific company sales manager, consultants in environmental, biotechnological companies.
Following study opportunities at Masters's Degree level: Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Ecology, and other Master programmes related to physical and biomedical sciences.
About the School
Ranked in QS World University Rankings as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and one of the few in the region where a wid ... Read More