The Alfred University major in Athletic Training provides you with the opportunity for concentrated study and hands-on clinical work experiences. The program is based on a solid foundation in the allied healthcare arena with a strong emphasis in professional domains like injury and illness prevention and clinical evaluation and diagnosis. Our student-to-faculty ratio is low, and our faculty includes a physician who is a specialist in sports medicine. A built-in minor in Exercise Science is also a key feature of the program.
The Athletic Training program is based on the philosophy that education is a life-long process. This is particularly true for a profession, which through its practice of specific skills, seeks to fill the needs of athletes and recreationally active individuals. The needs of this select group are dynamic due to continually improving methods of training and new findings through research.
Upon successful completion of the Athletic Training program, you will receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Athletic Training, thus making you eligible to sit for the Board of Certification exam. Upon passing the BOC exam, you will attain the qualification of a Certified Athletic Trainer.
At Alfred University, we are committed to the health of the whole athlete. Athletes undergo a comprehensive physical conducted by the athletic training staff and the team physician prior to competition. A certified athletic trainer is present for all in-season practices and competitions for contact sports.
Robert Minlionica, MPA, ATC, CES, PES, FMT
Athletic Training Intern with the NY Jets, Rob Minlionica, an Alfred University Alumnus (2015, Honors) observes team practice on the sidelines beside wide receiver Eric Decker at last season's Jets training camp. Rob is also the Certified Athletic Trainer for Special Olympics of New Jersey.
AU Athletic Training Students Volunteering Their Services
For the third year, Clinical Education Coordinator Josh Long along with students in the Alfred University Athletic Training major volunteered their time to serve on the medical staff for the Wineglass Marathon, contributing to the overall medical supervision of the race alongside full-time medical professionals.
Alfred University Campus Visit By Mercy Flight of Western New York
Alfred University Athletic Training students examine the in-flight medical equipment onboard one of Mercy Flight of Western NY's helicopters. The in-flight medical staff demonstrated how the medical equipment is used during the flight and also shared stories of their travels while in the air.
Once a student is formally accepted into the ATP, he/she must adhere to the following guidelines and policies:
- Students must maintain admission requirements in order to remain in the program. Failure to maintain the published requirements will result in the student being placed on Athletic Training Program Probation.
- If placed on AT Program Probation, the student will have one semester to correct deficiencies. If she/he fails to correct deficiencies, the student will be suspended from the program.
- During suspension from the ATP, the student will not be permitted to pursue additional athletic training classes or accumulate additional clinical hours unless given written permission from the Division of Athletic Training Program Director.
Local Internship Opportunities
Students enrolled in the Athletic Training major have enjoyed real-world work experience in their degree through local internships with:
- HealthWorks Wellness and Fitness Center
- Alfred State College Athletics
- Page Physical Therapy
- Wayland Family Medicine
- Hornell Paramedics
- Bath Central School District
- Lake Country Chiropractic
- Weyand Chiropractic
- St. Bonaventure University Athletics
- Elmira Jackals Hockey Club
- Rochester Rhinos Soccer
- James Mercy Hospital
- Jones Memorial Hospital
- SUNY Geneseo Athletics
- Alfred University Health Center
- Alfred University Athletics
Athletic Training program graduates work in the traditional sports and athletic training settings with organizations such as:
- National Football League
- National Hockey League
- Major League Baseball
- Division I, II, and III athletics
- High schools
- Junior colleges
Graduates of the Alfred University Athletic Training major have gone into several multidisciplinary training and medical-related careers, including:
- Corporate health advising
- Professional team athletic training
- Physical education
- Community health
- Personal training
- Health instructing
- Fitness center ownership
- Health program administration
- Facilities management
- Camp athletic training
- Sports equipment design
- Emergency medical response
- Sports psychology
- Doctoral Level Medicine
- Exercise physiology
- Fitness instruction
- Sports nutrition
- High school athletic training
- Physician assisting
- Physical therapy
- Collegiate athletic training