Grounded in environmental design, the Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Design (BA-ARH-D) degree provides a strong undergraduate education while allowing the student to experience and gain skills in architectural design, art, architectural, and urban history and theory, fundamentals of sustainability, materials, building construction and structures, as well as advanced design representation tools. To study the world through the architectural lens is an opportunity to examine our culture through the spaces and buildings that we create.
BA Architectural Design Unit Requirements
- Core 36 units
- Major 45 units
- Liberal Arts 45 units
- Breadth 6 units
TOTAL 132 units
BA Architectural Degree Requirements
Minimum 2.0 GPA
Minimum grade of C- in all core courses, major courses, and the following Liberal Arts courses:
- LA 108 Composition for the Artist
- LA 219 History of Architecture 1
- LA 249 History of Architecture 2
- LA 255 College Math
- LA 271 College Algebra with Geometry
- LA 292 Programming & Culture
- LA 293 Precalculus
- LA 296 Applied Physics
- LA 319 History of Architecture 3
- LA 449 Urban Design Theory
And the following general education requirements:
- 2 Written Communications courses
- 3 History of Art & Architecture courses
- 1 Fundamental Math course
- 1 Applied Math course
- 1 Advanced Math course
- 1 Physics course
- 1 Cultural Influences & Human Behavior course
- 1 Social Factors & Historical Awareness course
- 1 Urban Studies course
- 1 Employment Communications & Practices course
After above general education requirements are met, take Liberal Arts electives as needed to fulfill the Liberal Arts unit requirement.
BA Program Learning Outcomes
Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Conceptual Thinking and Process
- Communicate conceptual thinking verbally and in writing
- Articulate and extend conceptual thinking through diagrams
- Develop a rigorous material logic for model-making to test ideas
- Produce critical analyses of canonical precedent buildings recognizing the significance to the discipline of architecture
- Produce critical analyses of contemporary, historical, global precedents inclusive of buildings, theoretical texts, and related arts
- Develop methodologies to generate and evaluate an architectural formal order and language
- Develop architectural proposals sensitive to the site context in scale and use
- Produce architectural drawings with appropriate drawing conventions to convey spatial qualities and design intent
- Demonstrate an understanding of materiality through making
- Construct drawings and models with a high level of craft and attention to detail
- Clearly explain and defend design projects in verbal presentations
- Create presentation boards, slides, and/or printed materials which exhibit logical sequencing and a hierarchy of information
- Develop effective representational strategies to convey information that build towards an argument
- Demonstrate a commitment to community building and social responsibility through programming and organization of an architectural project
- Demonstrate cultural literacy capable of designing for cultures with different values
- Develop a clear concept for the architectural design of a building
- Conduct a user & programmatic analysis
- Communicate analyses of the urban and environmental conditions of a site with clear graphic devices
- Develop a research-driven strategy for integrating structural systems into the design
- Integrate sustainable strategies into the design
- Develop an energy-conscious strategy for the design of building envelope systems and material selection
- Address accessibility and life safety requirements in the design
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017