Students will complete a program that is anchored by fundamentals of computing, programming, databases, data mining, financial risk, and analysis, which is the root of study for nearly any applied mathematical endeavor that they may wish to pursue. Applied Mathematics majors can tailor this program to areas of science or business via the actuarial concentration, free electives, and big data analysis via data science concentration, as well as to special areas in applied mathematics through a variety of independent study topics that are close to current faculty interests. Students are required to take Data Mining, Databases, Probability Theory and Actuary, Regression Analysis, and Financial Mathematics courses as part of the degree requirement. In addition, students will have the opportunity to engage with experts in the fields of data science and actuary through workshops. Students completing this program will be adequately prepared to enter the job market in data science/actuary or continue education in a graduate program.
|Degree earned||Total number of credits|
|B.S.||120 (Data Science Concentration)
122 (Actuary Concentration)
What can you do with this degree?
This program will prepare students for careers that involve curating, analyzing, interpreting and presenting data. Students graduating in Medaille’s Applied Mathematics program have a wide range of career options:
Data Scientist: Data scientist is one of the fastest-growing and highest paid jobs. Students can work as data scientists in a variety of fields, including finance, marketing, insurance, engineering, economics, risk management, quality control, health, and medicine.
The largest employer is the technology sector (41 percent), followed by marketing (13 percent), corporate settings (11 percent), consulting (9 percent), healthcare (7 percent) and financial services (6 percent). The rest are scattered across government, academia, retail, and gaming. The Glassdoor median income for data scientists was $114,840 in 2016.
Government: Increased government use of data has the potential to deliver services more efficiently and improve the quality of life in communities. A McKinsey report predicted that by 2018 the U.S. would face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 workers with deep analytical skills and of 1.5 million managers and analysts with big data skills.
Actuary: Graduates will be prepared to take two actuarial exams.
Graduate School: Students can pursue a higher degree in data science, statistics, actuary or mathematics.Pixabay / Pexels
Medaille’s bachelor’s degree in applied mathematics provides you with unique opportunities to
- Develop strong computational skills and experience in a wide range of software environments.
- Engage with experts in the fields of data science and actuary through unique workshops.
- Develop an understanding of the central components of applied mathematics, and their interaction in special areas.
- Cultivate a fluency in comprehending applied mathematical concepts and the components that support it.
- Learn primary tools relevant to performing applied mathematics.
- Acquire the technical skills employers and graduate schools are looking for.
- Gain an ability to manage a large volume of data.
- Engage in critical thinking and problem exploration.
- Learn how to analyze risk using mathematics and statistics.
- Have an ability to apply your knowledge to solve management problems in insurance and various social and business settings.
You have an exciting journey ahead and we’ll be there every step of the way
Medaille College is the place for students who want to change their world and improve the lives of their communities through their careers as leaders, advocates, and professionals. Each one of Medaille’s undergraduate programs prepares you for the workplace through hands-on learning experiences in and out of the classroom.
Medaille College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Personalized support.
- Student-centered environment.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available.
- A vibrant campus located in the heart of the City of Buffalo Relevant real-world experiences.
- More than two-dozen clubs and activities.
- Successful NCAA Division III athletic teams.
About the School
Medaille College is a private, nonsectarian four-year college with campuses in Buffalo, Rochester and online. Medaille focuses on your success as a student and as a future professional by offering und ... Read More