Advertising is one of the four major concentration areas in the media major. The goals of the media major are to:
- Develop skills in message design and channel delivery via traditional (television, film, print ) and emerging (online, mobile, interactive) media which provide a foundation on which to build specific career skills
- Provide a base for a wide range of vocational experiences in media centering on production, direction, and management
- Provide appropriate preparation for graduate study
From public officials to peanut butter, sports cars to seminars, an ORU advertising media student will learn to sell ideas, products, and services in a competitive, global marketplace.
The advertising program combines classes in strategic planning, persuasion, product development, media law and consumer marketing to build foundational knowledge. Students then use technology-graphic design, Web development, online research, digital photography and video production tools to deliver the message to intended audiences.
During a four-year program, students may:
- Experiment with new technologies and message delivery channels
- Collaborate with clients to develop and execute marketing campaigns
- Intern in agency, media, non-profit, ministry and other organizations
- Compete in state, regional and national industry competitions (e.g. campaign planning and creative design)
Opportunities are available to earn money working in on-campus ad-related positions such as university development, advertising, sales, admissions and retail services. Ad students are also eligible to receive scholarship awards from professional chapters and program donors.
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
As an advertising student you will:
- construct super-charged solutions to client problems built with marketing intelligence, strategic prowess, and creativity.
- hunger for the newest ways (like social media) to connect ideas, products, services, and messages to targeted audiences.
- be motivated by your faculty, passion, emerging interests and (what will be lifelong) friends. embrace advertising’s influence on the thoughts, feelings, and actions of others and identify where you will lead in it.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 11, 2018