Midway University’s Bachelor of Science in Accounting provides students with the foundational knowledge and skills necessary to have a successful career in the fast-growing and challenging field of accounting. Graduates of this program are fluent in the global language of business and are prepared to take on management positions or become entrepreneurs.
In this program, you will learn how to:
- Integrate people, processes, and resources to achieve organizational goals;
- Describe, explain, and apply fundamental concepts and relationships underlying accounting;
- Select and use appropriate resources to acquire, analyze, and synthesize financial data for operational and strategic decision-making;
- Apply quantitative skills to analyze and solve business problems and discover opportunities;
- Communicate clearly and concisely verbally and/or in writing;
- Apply information technology and use the information to support financial decision-making.
This program is offered both in-seat and online so that students can choose the format that works best for their needs and schedule.
Many students graduating with an accounting degree find employment before the end of their senior year of college. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of accountants and auditors is projected to grow 6 percent from 2018 to 2028.
Individuals with a degree in accounting can serve in a variety of roles such as:
- Public accountants
- Management accountants
- Government accountants
- Internal and external auditors
- Information technology auditors
How does this degree prepare you for taking the CPA exam?
Kentucky, along with most other states, requires candidates who sit for the CPA exam to have completed 150 hours of course work including a baccalaureate degree and 27 hours of accounting specific courses. Our Bachelor of Science in Accounting is 120 hours, 27 that is specific to accounting. So students will need to take an additional 30 credit hours of course work to be ready to sit for the CPA exam. Those courses can be taken at Midway or another institution, however, Midway University has a great way for our students to earns those credits and earn an advanced degree – the MBA 4+1 program.
The Midway Accounting Degree + MBA 4+1 Advantage
Undergraduate students now have the option of applying to the MBA 4+1 program to earn their graduate degree within a year of earning their undergraduate degree. What this means for Accounting majors is you can earn your undergraduate degree, get an advanced start on your MBA, and within 5 years have an undergraduate degree, your MBA, and all the additional credit hours to sit for your CPA exam.
- 17:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Affordability - 90% of students receive some form of financial assistance
- Support - meet faculty face-to-face to get in-person assistance
A Peek Inside Our Program
You will earn your Accounting degree by completing 120 credit hours.
Major Course Requirements
- BUS-230 - Principles of Management - 3 hours
- BUS-255 - Principles of Marketing - 3 hours
- BUS-313 - Business and Organizational Communication - 3 hours
- BUS-319 - Business Research Methods - 3 hours
- BUS-321 - Managerial Finance - 3 hours
- BUS-340 - Legal Environment of Business - 3 hours
- BUS-390 - Global Business - 3 hours
- ACC-210 - Financial Accounting - 3 hours
- ACC-215 - Managerial Accounting - 3 hours
- ACC-370 - Intermediate Accounting I - 3 hours
- ACC-371 - Intermediate Accounting II - 3 hours
- ACC-380 - Cost Accounting - 3 hours
- ACC-408 - Federal Tax I - 3 hours
- ACC-425 - Auditing Theory - 3 hours
- ACC-435 - Advanced Accounting - 3 hours
- ACC-444 - Accounting Information Systems - 3 hours
- CIS-235 - Application Software - 3 hours
- CIS-330 - Introduction to Management Information Systems - 3 hours
- ECO-217 - Principles of Microeconomics - 3 hours
- ECO-220 - Principles of Macroeconomics - 3 hours
- MTH-139 - Introduction to Statistics - 3 hours
Business Capstone BUS 490 or Senior Project ACC 496
General Education Hours - 34-40
Elective Hours - 14-20
Total Hours to Complete - 120
About the School
Midway University, located in Midway, Kentucky, is a private, non-profit liberal arts college, founded in 1847 by Dr. Lewis L. Pinkerton, as the first school in the United States to serve orphaned and ... Read More