Game Design Bachelor Degree
Design and program your own games in Game Design Studies
Computer, video and mobile games are the medium of the future. Already today they love more than 40 percent of Germans, over 90 percent of them play several times a week. Games are entertainment and business, but also personal expression and image of global perspectives - and make (in most cases) also great fun! As a game designer or designer you develop innovative game mechanics and create the narration of the game! With your expertise, you are involved in all development steps: from the first idea through the technical-creative conception to the design of rooms and characters.
We at the University of Applied Sciences Europe are aware of the artistic and cultural possibilities of the medium of computer games and therefore train you in a practical and industry-oriented manner with state-of-the-art equipment in our game design studies.
In the Bachelor's Degree Program Game Design you will only learn from renowned lecturers from the creative industry and can use the professional equipment of the University of Applied Sciences Europe including Game Labs, VR Equipment, MacPools, etc. for your study projects. The focus of our teaching is your individual support in small learning groups and a friendly, familiar and creative atmosphere. Through our interdisciplinary selection of subjects, a variety of practical projects and through a semester abroad or internships, you can actively shape your studies and your career path.
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Campus: Berlin
- Language of instruction: German (Hamburg), English (Berlin, Hamburg)
- Semester beginning: Winter semester: September
- Duration of study: 7 semesters (full time)
- Internship / semester abroad: in the 5th semester
- Credit Points: 210 ECTS
- Focus of study:
- Focus on individual support in small learning groups and a family atmosphere. Many creative freedom, professional equipment and practical projects. Teaching by renowned lecturers from the creative industry.
- Study Fees:
- For EU applicants: € 7,980 annually
- For non-EU applicants: € 10,380 annually
The special thing about studying at the University of Applied Sciences Europe
The study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe takes place in small learning groups. This guarantees individual support and personal contact with our teachers. Our lecturers are successful experts from the field, whose network in the industry benefits you.
The contents of your studies can be determined and extended by a large, interdisciplinary selection of subjects. Our practice-oriented approach to study includes integrated internships and / or semester abroad. In addition, you have state-of-the-art equipment, such as a Game Lab.
Our university is state recognized and awarded several times - and our professors and students alike. With us you can apply NC-free, because it is your personality that counts.
Contents of study - semester abroad, internships and more
In Game Design studies, the focus of teaching is on the development and creation of games with an innovative and experimental character. As a student you will get an overview of the economy, the culture and the markets around computer games, from AAA to Indie Games to experimental formats. You will be taught in the areas of Game Design, Game Development, Game Art and Game Programming as well as in their interactions with each other. You learn how to use different software, eg Android game programming with Java.
From the first semester, you will learn how to creatively master the development process in teams in a project-oriented manner. The development of your own games and prototypes is framed by the theoretical aspects of the game medium, an overview of the financial perspective as well as an overview of the national and international industry. In interdisciplinary seminars, workshops and study trips, you can broaden your perspective and also have the opportunity in the 5th semester to try out your acquired skills in practice in an internship in Germany or abroad.
Study game design and make a career
Game designers are involved in all the crucial processes of creating a new game: starting with the first draft of the game idea, through all the creative decisions during development to the creation of worlds and characters. They develop innovative game mechanics and shape the narrative power of a game.
You can work as a Game Designer, System Designer, Level Designer, Narrative Designer, Game Writer Game Artist, or Game Programmer at major developer studios, but you can also be the creative director of your own studio and own games develop and distribute. Other possible fields of work after graduation are game journalism and game research.
Application for the art department Art
Film Motion Design, Photography, Communication Design, Game Design or Illustration - Which course of study fits your talents? We appreciate your interest in undergraduate courses at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
You can apply one year in advance for the desired semester start at our university. The application deadline for the winter semester is August 15 (non-EU applicants: June 15) and for the summer semester February 28 (non-EU applicants: February 28) . Following this, there is a follow-up procedure for unrecognized study places. If you already have a valid student visa for Germany, you can apply within the official application deadline.
Admission criteria for a study place at the University of Applied Sciences Europe are the university entrance qualification and the results of the entrance examination. A recording is also possible if the criteria of §11 in the Berlin Higher Education Act (BerlHG) are met.
By the way: You can also take the entrance exam without a high school diploma and one year before your planned start of studies. This will give you the certainty of whether or not you can study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
We look forward to receiving your application for the summer and winter semester 2019 and beyond.
The basic admission requirement for the bachelor's degree program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe is the (technical) higher education entrance qualification you have achieved with a high school diploma. Anyone who has completed at least two years of vocational training regulated by federal or state law and has worked for at least two years (each in a field similar to the intended course) has an immediate subject-specific university entrance qualification (BerlHG § 11) and can also attend the University of Applied Sciences Europe Study University of Applied Sciences Europe .
We will examine your requirements and inform you immediately after submission of the documents whether you can be admitted to the studies.
Benefits in programs of study at other state or state recognized higher education institutions as well as extra-curricular achievements are recognized on application, provided that their equivalence with the achievements in the respective study course is established. Equivalence shall be established where no material difference can be demonstrated and the performance in terms of content, scope and requirements of the study program for which credit is requested is substantially the same. Responsible for this is the examination board. The concrete conditions for crediting and the exact procedure for this are regulated in the relevant examination regulations for the study program.
So you apply
- Please complete our online application form completely.
- Upload a copy of your (Fach-) Abitur certificate or equivalent.
- After reviewing your records, we can assess if you qualify for a degree from the University of Applied Sciences Europe . If so, we will invite you to your entrance exam. Please make sure we have your valid phone number and can reach you about it. Of course, your data will be treated confidentially and will not be passed on to us.
- For the entrance exam at our university, please bring your own portfolio and a certificate of general or subject-specific university entrance qualification in original or in certified photocopies.
How is the recording interview going?
- Please bring along for the admission interview:
- Tabular CV
- Certificate of General or Subject-Specific University Degree in Certified Photocopies. Admission is also possible if the criteria of § 11 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (BerlHG) are met.
- Portfolio with own artistic-creative works. This should contain 15-20 working examples (exception Game Design (BA), three to five concepts). The following are possible: drawings, paintings, sketchbooks, photos, computer graphics, websites, CD-ROMs, short films, but also text-oriented works such as: B. Concepts for advertising campaigns or articles. Larger sculptural works and three-dimensional objects can also be documented as photos or in digital form. The folder must be accompanied by a written statement that the work was done independently. In the case of Game Design concepts for analog or digital games and also prototypes can be shown (Gameplay, Game Art, Story).
- Possibly. Proof of own social commitment, eg. For example, projects in which you are involved.
- Your conversation with representatives of the kind
- First, you will be asked about your motivation for a creative study.
- Afterwards your folder will be examined, in which about 15-20 work samples should be. Your portfolio and the results of the interview will decide on your admission to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
- Immediately after the interview, you will learn if you will be admitted to study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe .
href = "https://www.bachelorstudies.de/BA-Game-Design/Deutschland/UEurope/