The catwalk, the models, the shows... the world of fashion is exhilarating, rewarding and hard work. This course can help you be a part of it, by taking you through the design process to produce catwalk-ready collections that showcase your talent and demonstrate your technical ability.
You’ll cover everything from designing, garment construction including fashion drawing and illustration, style forecasting and marketing. What’s more, we encourage you to develop your own style right from the outset, meaning you can start carving your niche from the day you arrive in our purpose-built design studio.
During the course, you will:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the technical requirements and aesthetic appeal of the materials you work with.
- Explore and manipulate fabric and construction techniques as a means of design expression.
- Develop digital design skills. You will be able to access our digital workshop, which includes equipment for laser cutting, embroidery and fabric printing, as well as the print room and sewing room facilities. Photoshop and Illustrator are available to inform visual design communication.
- Undertake live industry projects supported by people who live and breathe fashion.
- Take up work placements to gain valuable first-hand experience of the fashion industry and establish your reputation.
- Enter competitions to raise your profile. For example, Somerset College students have achieved Gold in EuroSkills and awards at UKSkills and WorldSkills.
- Have your own work and display area in spacious, well-equipped studios.
- Consider the wider cultural context to underpin your studio work.
- Focus on your own personal design statement in your final year, which will culminate in your collection being shown at the Somerset College Degree Show.
Teaching and Assessment
Most of your time will be spent in our first-rate studios and workshops, although your practical work will be complemented by a programme in Visual Culture during your first two years. Assessment is by 100% coursework with no exams. Your final Degree Show exhibition forms an essential part of your portfolio.
We work with a panel of well-respected people from within the fashion and textiles industry to ensure that our course keeps up-to-date with the expectations of the workplace. As a result, Somerset College students are successful at securing employment upon completion of their studies, and often leave College with an enviable profile in their chosen sector.
Recent graduates have gone on to jobs in design, retail management, buying and fashion promotion. They’ve worked with employers including Courtaulds, Abercrombie and Fitch, Sassi Holford, Fat Face, Debenhams Fashion Design team, Ashley Isham, Miss Selfridge, Next, New Look Design Team, Peacock’s buying team and Vivienne Westwood.
Applicants should have a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, or a National Diploma in Graphic Design (MPP), or A2/AS Level in Art or an arts-based discipline (minimum 160 UCAS points including 80 points at A2 Level). Alternatively, you can apply with an AVCE Double Award in Art and Design (minimum grade CC) or an Advanced Diploma or Access Certificate in Art and Design.
Students are also required to have GCSE English, with a minimum grade of C.
You will be asked to bring a portfolio to your interview. This should include a maximum of 45 pieces of work, including sketchbooks and slides or photographs of 3D work. We run Portfolio Workshops throughout the year to help you prepare for interviews.
Mature students who do not meet these formal entry requirements are welcome to apply if they can evidence their interest in the field of study.
About the School
Located in Taunton the County Town of Somerset, in the heart of the South West, Somerset College offers an extensive range of Further and Higher Education courses as well as skills training in a warm, ... Read More