In the current panorama of international tourism, concern for sustainability, growing competition between destinations and demand for quality at a reasonable price are challenges that come together in an environment that is already by nature subject to continuous transformation and, in some cases, instability.
In response to this situation, the Ostelea School of Tourism and Hospitality offers a new Bachelor Degree in Tourism and Leisure, which is underpinned by an international approach in which trips are not seen simply as the act of traveling or intermediation and commercialization of tourism products, but rather, just the contrary, it encompasses all of the activities and agents involved in the tourism sector that manifest themselves through trips. Moreover, leisure is understood to be the consumption of tourism reflected in a cross-disciplinary way in all of the elements of the tourism system.
The main aim of the Bachelor's Degree is to equip professionals working in any functional department to successfully manage companies and businesses primarily dedicated to planning and managing international tourism and leisure destinations and products.
To this end, the Bachelor Degree provides a broad range of tuition covering tourism companies, resources, products, destinations and tools for international tourism management, in order to enable our students to attain a strategic global vision applicable to any of the professional and career opportunities for which this Bachelor Degree has been designed.
slon_dot_pics / Pexels
Reasons to take Bachelor Degree in Tourism & Leisure at Ostelea
A bilingual program in Spanish and English
- With optional languages Russian and German.
- Option of choosing two itineraries with a major.
- Compulsory internships from the first year onwards.
As the Bachelor's Degree is bilingual, students are required to have a minimum level of B2 to be able to follow the classes given in English. Therefore, to support our students’ learning process, we offer an online interactive English course free of charge that students can complete independently and voluntarily throughout the degree program. The course consists of four levels: Elementary, Intermediate, Lower Intermediate, and Upper-intermediate. Ostelea also gives students access to Pearson’s interactive platform My English Grammar, enabling them to make progress with their language learning in a fully personalized way.
The course is designed by professionals and is published by Grupo Planeta.
As well as the ERASMUS program, Ostelea has a great number of private partnership agreements with foreign universities that enable the international mobility of the students on selected programs with tuition programs that coincide with the School. These partner institutions include UPC in Lima (Peru), the Universidad Anáhuac Mayab (México) and INSEEC (Paris).
Command of specialized software
The students on the Bachelor's Degree learn about travel booking management using Amadeus E-learning, one of the leading booking platforms at a global level. Students who successfully complete the course obtain a certificate issued by Amadeus accrediting that they have passed.
Attendance at sector trade fairs
Students attend sector trade fairs throughout the four years, such as Barcelona Travel, considered to be the most important trade fair in the sector in Catalonia, and IBTM, one of the leading events in business tourism.
Part of the content on certain courses is taught by lecturers from Ostelea’s partner business schools and universities. In the 2015/2016 academic year, guest lecturers included Greg Richards, from Tilburg University (Holland); Maria Kirstine Lovén from the Copenhagen Business School. and José Antonio Vázquez from the Universidad Autónoma de México.
Visits to companies and organizations
- Within the framework of the courses, students go on practical visits that enable them to round off the content covered in the classroom. The visits conducted to date include the Hotel Cotton House, the Poble Sec Air Raid Shelter, the Boqueria Market, the Calella Tourism Museum, the Hotel ZT Villa Olímpica Suites, and the Mercat del Born Cultural Centre, among others.
- Series of meetings with hotel directors and restaurant company executives and international tourism consultants.
The students work on a project conducted jointly by all of the courses, in both the first and second year, The Cross-disciplinary Project simulates a real professional setting
Members of the Master’s academic faculty form part of Ostelea’s multidisciplinary tourism research group (GRIT), the scientific output of which focuses on the field of international tourism management.
The Bachelor Degree in Tourism & Leisure will give you the following benefits
Responding to an existing educational need
Facilitating learning with regard to the fundamental issues of theory, procedures, policies, practices, and experiences in the fields of tourism and leisure.
Specialize in the technical and executive management of companies
Providing a basic body of higher tuition that equips participants to specialize in the technical and executive management of companies and institutions in the fields of tourism and leisure.
Generating specific specialization profiles
That covers both the needs of business management and the management of group aspects and, in particular, tourism capitalization of natural and cultural resources.
Interiorizing and raising awareness
- Of the scientific, economic, social, regional and personal relevance of tourism and leisure.
- Fostering the development of critical thinking on the role and consequences of the development of tourism and leisure in an unequal and globalized world.
Design, planning, and management of business projects
- Introducing students to the design, planning, and management of business projects and markets in the tourism and leisure sectors.
- Promoting recognition of the differences and continuities between tourism and leisure.
- Strengthening the combination of creativity, business vision, and organizational skills in entrepreneurial initiatives in the fields of tourism and leisure.
Promoting and Standardizing knowledge
- Promoting knowledge of the current policies, strategies and actions implemented by institutions, companies and social agents in relation to tourism and leisure.
- Standardizing the transfer of knowledge in relation to tourism to prevent the fragmentation of contents taught by an excessive number of areas of knowledge.
- Ensuring a multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary approach to tourism and leisure.
This Bachelor Degree in Tourism & Leisure accounts for 240 ECTS credits, spread across the four years that the program runs. Its structure, content sequencing, and academic organization are developed based on the premises stipulated in Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29th October, which regulates official university tuition in our country, amended by Royal Decree 861/2010; and the principles and philosophy of the European Higher Education Area, which are legally enacted in Spain through the Organic Law of Amendment to the University Act (LOMLOU) from 2007.
- Structure and international finance of the tourism sector.
- Talent management and innovation in global contacts.
- Business management of events organization and business tourism in global environments.
- International marketing, protocol, and organization of events and business tourism.
- Master's Thesis.
There are two options for majoring in the Bachelor Degree in Tourism & Leisure:
Major 1: Tourism company and destination management
Major 2: Leisure management
The admission process ensures the suitability of the candidates, thereby enabling all of the participants to make the very most of their learning experience.
- Students who have passed the University entrance examination (PAU) or equivalent tests.
- Students with Advanced-Grade Vocational Training qualifications.
- Students with foreign qualifications with equivalence accreditation.
- University degree or similar qualifications.
- Students who have passed the entrance examinations for people over 25 years old.
- Students who have passed the entrance examinations for people over 45 years old.
Participants who successfully complete the program will receive:
- The qualification of a Bachelor's Degree in Tourism & Leisure from the Ostelea, School of Tourism & Hospitality. (official)
- The qualification of a Bachelor's Degree in International Tourism & Leisure from EAE Business School. (institutional)
- The official university qualification of a Bachelor's Degree in Tourism & Leisure from the Universitat de Lleida. (institutional)
There are two options for majoring in the Bachelor Degree in Tourism & Leisure:
- Major 1: Tourism company and destination management
- Major 2: Leisure management
In order to receive the qualifications granted by EAE and the University, participants must fulfill the requirements stipulated by these institutions.
Ostelea gives candidates access to grants in the form of financial aid with the aim of providing support for our students.
Each application will be evaluated independently and the grants will be issued during the admission process, with the candidates being notified personally by the Admissions Committee before formalizing enrolment.
Under no circumstances are grants issued that represent 100% of the total enrolment fees.
Financial aid is offered in the following cases:
- A deposit paid in advance to reserve a place.
- Academic merit.
- Candidates may also apply for the partnership grants of the UDL. Find out more at the following link: http://www.turisme.udl.cat/ca/beques-ajuts/index.html
About the School
Ostelea is an international university centre, belonging to the Training division of Grupo Planeta, specializing in training professionals in the Hospitality and Tourism sectors with a passion for goo ... Read More