Bachelor Degree in Management
Earn your degree in Spearfish, Rapid City or now Online!
All organizations, public and private, need qualified management professionals! A bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Management opens the door to a wide variety of employment opportunities in a profession that is truly global. Learning to manage people and the company’s resources may be one of the most important (and toughest) skills in business. By acquiring analytical problem-solving skills, leadership techniques, resource management skills and personal development expertise, you will put yourself in a position to assume entry-level professional employment in management.
Students enrolled in this degree program are expected to have a well-rounded exposure to accounting, marketing, finance, economics, business law, and information systems. Unlike many undergraduate programs in bigger schools, BHSU has a large number of nontraditional students, many of whom are working in businesses while attending school. Classroom discussions are often centered around a student’s current experiences in business rather than simply focusing on textbook examples.
Students are taught by an interdisciplinary team of accomplished faculty. Many of our faculties have held management positions in business. We have faculty that has experience in starting new business ventures; some have operated their own businesses, while others have had upper-level management positions in large corporations. This kind of practical experience brings a unique perspective to the classroom. In addition, all faculties have a minimum of a Masters Degree in an area of Business and many hold a Ph.D. or a JD. All continue to remain active in the field of management by consulting and publishing research in their areas of expertise.
Graduates of the Business Administration-Management program will be ready to assume leadership positions in a wide variety of management areas in for-profit, not-for-profit, and government organizations!
Management 4 Year Plan
BHSU Business Administration with a Management Specialization: 4-YEAR PLAN
A minor is NOT required for a Business major. The Required Core and Specialization Credits are highly recommended to be taken as listed. This will allow you to fulfill your General Education Requirements for the University and progress through the Business Program efficiently.
- ACCT 210 Principles of Accounting I (pre-req for ACCT-211)
- ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics (gen ed)
- MIS 105 Introduction to Computers (pre-req for MIS 205 & BADM 320)
- ACCT 211 Principles of Accounting II (pre-req for ACCT 310, 430 & BADM 310)
- ECON 202 Principles of Macroeconomics (gen ed)
- MATH 281 Introduction to Statistics (gen ed; pre-req for BADM 320, 321, & 425 )
- MIS 205 Advanced Computer Applications (pre-req for ACCT 361)
- BADM 321 Business Statistics II
- BADM 350 Legal Environment of Business (pre-req for BADM 482)
- BADM 320 Quantitative Decision Analysis
- BADM 344 Managerial Communications
- BADM 351 Business Law**
- ACCT 460 Managerial Accounting*
- BADM 310 Business Finance (pre-req for BADM 482)
- BADM 360 Organization & Management (pre-req for BADM 482)
- MIS 325 Management Information Systems
- BADM 370 Marketing (pre-requisite for BADM 482)
- BADM 464 Organizational Behavior** HRM 417 Human Resource Management (pre-req for HRM 465)
- BADM 334*, 372*, 473*, 475* or ECON 304
- BADM 425 Production & Operations Management
- BADM 471 Marketing Management*
- ECON 300/400 Elective
- BADM 407 International Business
- BADM 457 Business Ethics
- BADM 482 Business Policy & Strategy
- ECON 304, HRM 465**, or THM 410**
- Electives - 6 credits
*Fall Only Classes
** Spring Only Classes
Careers and Graduate possibilities with a Management degree
Management graduates will be ready to assume leadership positions in a wide variety of management areas in for-profit, not-for-profit, and government organizations. Many of our graduates are working as managers in a variety of businesses. Others have started and are successfully operating their own businesses. Many of the businesses and organizations throughout Western South Dakota and Eastern Wyoming are being managed by graduates of BHSU.
Are you interested in graduate school?
A Management degree is also excellent preparation for graduate business studies, so some have gone on to graduate school. A recent graduate went on to pursue a degree at Harvard.
Many excellent graduate programs in Management are available throughout the United States and in other countries. A bachelor’s degree in management will provide you with the necessary coursework to be accepted into most of these programs.
Because of the small class sizes, instructors are able to get to know the students. This makes it very easy for faculty to write letters of recommendation to accompany your graduate school application.
About the School
BHSU Vision Black Hills State University will be recognized as an innovative, high-quality University in the Black Hills region, the state, the nation, and the world. We, at Black Hills State Universi ... Read More