As a communications major at Felician, you will learn to tell your stories to the world! Our close proximity to New York City makes the department an ideal place to prepare for a career in communications, journalism or videomaking. You will learn from professionals with industry experience in the "media capital of the world," including reporters in radio, television and print journalism.
Our own student-run radio station, WRFC, is a state-of-the-art facility where you will have the opportunity to design your own show, select music and discussion topics, and run the station's digital radio equipment. The radio studio is located in the Little Theatre complex on the Rutherford Campus. The Little Theater is a 90-seat, black box theater with digital video projection and Dolby Digital 5.1 multichannel surround sound system – often used as a communications classroom for film screenings and student projects.
In our fast-paced, media-driven world, employers are looking for effective communicators who can engage audiences inside and outside the organization, make effective arguments and solve problems. We are living in the “Age of Communication!”
Bachelor of Arts in Communications
The major offers two pathways of study to pursue your special interests: Journalism/Media and Videomaking. Regardless of the concentration you choose, the courses in the core curriculum balance theory and the practical skills necessary for effective, ethical communication in a changing and complex media environment. Students in each concentration are encouraged to take courses in the other concentration in order to enhance the range of their experiences.
- Examine the role of communications throughout history and the way it continues to impact society.
- Learn about the development, production, and distribution of media in its many forms, especially print, broadcast, and Internet journalism.
- Study and work closely with faculty who are established professionals in the field.
- Participate in a vigorous internship program in journalism, public relations, or broadcasting.
- Train in on-air radio reporting and production using the digital facilities of WRFC Radio Felician University.
- Gain valuable experience in on-camera reporting using HD camcorders.
- Explore all aspects of visual storytelling while mastering the skills needed to write, produce, record, and edit your own videos.
- Work closely with faculty who are established professionals in the field, including professional screenwriters and award-winning videomakers.
- Put your own creative and organizational skills to work in a professional setting, through a vigorous internship program. Internships will also help you begin to adapt to the obligations and responsibilities of the workplace.
- Train on state-of-the-art equipment to develop professional-quality portfolios that display your talents to prospective employers in various fields of communication.
- Create original videos using the program’s HD camcorders and Final Cut Pro editing systems, which offers hands-on-training in all aspects of production.
- Print/Internet Journalism
- Public Relations
- Social media coordinator
- Corporate Videomaking
- Documentary Videomaking
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017