Bachelor of Business in Accounting (Honours)
GMIT Galway Campus
GMIT's School of Business offers a three year Honours Degree (Level 8) in Accounting.
This highly practical and recognised programme offers a direct pathway to a full-time career in accounting. It provides the learner with a thorough grounding in the fundamental theories, concepts, principles and practices essential to the pursuit of a fulfilling career in the area of professional accountancy.
On completion of this programme, graduates will:
- be competent and skilled in a variety of core accountancy disciplines
- hold a significant number of exemptions from the professional accountancy bodies
- have a critical understanding of current developments in the accounting world
- have practical IT skills to enable them to take up immediate employment
- have developed sufficient professional and personal skills, allowing them to contribute effectively to the work environment.
Mandatory: Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Micro and Macro-Economics, Computing & Information Systems, Learning to Learn, Business Mathematics, Computerised Accounting Packages, Management Principles & Business Environment
Mandatory: Financial Reporting, Financial Management: Managerial Finance and Investment Decisions, Business Law, Marketing for Accountants, Management Accounting, Performance Management and Decision Making, Introduction to Irish Tax, Corporate Law, Tax 2, MIS & Project Management
Mandatory: Corporate Reporting, Financial Management (Corporate Finance), Ethics & Corporate Governance, Professional Development, Strategic Management, Tax, Auditing
The programme prepares students for employment in the accounting function of industry and commerce and with firms of professional accountants as well as other financial services employers. There are many different types of accounting roles and accountants today play a very strategic role within businesses.
Other Essential Information
This is an intensive three-year accounting programme leading to a level 8 award. Applicants do not need to have studied accounting previously.
Generous exemptions have been given by such professional bodies as:
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Accounting Ireland (CAI)
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA)
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Please contact us for details of current exemptions.
GMIT honours (level 8) qualifications are recognised world-wide for postgraduate entry.
Pass (Grade D3 or better) in six (6) Leaving Certificate subjects including English or Irish and Mathematics, two of which must be passed at Grade C3 or higher.
Also available through ACCS mode.