The BFA degree builds on the core curriculum of fundamental principles by emphasizing the aesthetic and conceptual skills necessary for a professional portfolio. After completing the core curriculum, students choose to focus on commercial or editorial, fine art, or documentary courses. Upon graduation, students will be required to demonstrate an individual style and a unique approach to their chosen area of study.
BFA Photography Unit Requirements:
- Major Coursework
- Core 36 Units
- Major 42 Units
- Electives 9 units
- Liberal Arts 45 units
- TOTAL 132 units
BFA Photography Degree Requirements:
Minimum grade of C- in all core courses, major courses, and LA 108 Composition for the Artist Minimum 2.0 GPA and the following general education requirements:
- 3 Written Communication courses
- 4 Art Historical Awareness courses
- 1 Historical Awareness course
- 1 Quantitative Literacy course
- 1 Cultural Ideas & Influences course
- 1 Employment Communications & Practices course
After above general education requirements are met, take Liberal Arts electives as needed to fulfill the Liberal Arts unit requirement.
BFA Program Learning Outcomes
Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Conceptual and Problem-Solving Skills
- Make creative decisions that optimize conceptual impact, cohesiveness and memorability of created images
- Integrate key conceptual elements (such as mood, narrative, introducing the unexpected) with technical elements (such as composition, lighting, point of view) to suggest a story or elicit an emotional response from the viewer
- Solve creative and technical problems that include project parameters and modeled client expectations
- Master indoor and outdoor lighting, studio lighting techniques, lighting with constant light sources, and mixed lighting situations
- Work effectively with natural light and demonstrate understanding of the relationship between time of day and variations related to quality of light
- Work effectively with point source, flood, spot, diffused and reflected light
Camera Capture Skills
- Demonstrate full knowledge of digital SLR components
- Demonstrate complete understanding of exposure controls
- Effectively use a light meter for multiple lighting situations
- Apply advanced Photoshop techniques using various tools, layers, curves and selections with digital images
- Apply retouching skills and color correction knowledge consistent with industry standards
- Produce professional quality prints
- Create high quality print portfolio demonstrating printing skill and overall quality of images required for petition to graduate
- Demonstrate understanding of archival qualities, including ink and paper stability
- Produce and present a professional portfolio that meets department expectations and industry standards
- Create promotional materials to support print portfolio and website
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry trends and professional practices related to professional photography
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017