Social Economic Geography and Regional Studies
- Location: Lithuania, Klaipeda
- Type: Bachelor, full-time
- Nominal duration: 3 years (180 ECTS)
- Study language: English
- Awards: BSc (Bachelor of Social Sciences)
- Tuition fee: €1800
- Application fee: The Application fee for degree study programmes is for citizens of the EU member states or countries of the European Economic Area (Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia, and Azerbaijan), as well as those who have a permanent residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania: €55. For other students: €200. (Application fee is non-refundable).
- Application deadline: Jun 30, 2018
- Online application: https://apply.ku.lt/
- Studies commence: September 3
Bachelor of Social Economic Geography and Regional Studies
The study programme aims to prepare qualified specialists of social geography with a focus on their competences oriented towards knowledge economy-related knowledge in compliance with the principles of sustainable development. They are to understand social-economic problems and their spatial causes and to be able to make decisions. As prospective specialists in regional development, they are to be able to comprehensively analyses different regional problems and to make proposals (in the implementation of national and the EU regional development programmes) for sustainable economic and social development in regions.
The structure of the curriculum
The courses to be taken: Development of Geographical Discoveries and Ideas, General Cartography and Topography, Intro to GIS, GIS Studies, Intro to Social Economic Geography, Social Economic Geography: Theory and Research Methods, Regional Studies and Regional Research Methods, Social Economic Geography of Lithuania, Social Economic Geography of the World, Economic Geography (Branches of Economy), Demography and Population Geography, Political Geography and Geopolitics, Regional Sustainable Development: Basics and Models, Geospheres and Natural Processes, Natural Geography of Lithuania, Geography of Transport and Communications, Cultural Geography, Tourism and Recreation Geography, Rural Geography, Heritage Geography, Landscape Geography and Management, Territorial Planning. Training Apprenticeship (in Lithuania). Apprenticeship abroad (funded by KU). Specialized Apprenticeship (in Lithuania or abroad).
On completing the study programme, graduates will be able to:
- carry out socio-economic research in regions and different territories by means of geographical research methods;
- carry out socio-economic analysis of regions and states, identify economic and social problems, and find solutions, based on the principles of sustainable regional development;
- work with the Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and the SPSS programme, conduct various surveys and expert evaluation of the investigated processes and phenomena;
- prepare project applications for national, EU, and other funds related to the development of economic and human resources in various regions.
Students can do their apprenticeship in different public and private sector institutions: in municipalities, elderships, tourism information centers, civil registry offices, migration departments, job centers, regional development agencies, travel agencies, transport and logistics enterprises, regional and national parks, environmental protection institutions, social care departments, as well as in enterprises related to the drafting and implementation of regional development projects.
On completion of studies, graduates can work in municipal institutions (municipalities and elderships), in the agencies of regional development as developers of regional development projects, in regional and national parks as specialists, in jobcentres social care departments, as statisticians for social surveys, and in environmental protection institutions. Moreover, they can work in the system of education and training as teachers of geography. In the private sector, they can work in travel agencies as sales managers or market analysts, in the financial sector, or in the fields of transport, logistics, and trade; as consultants in private enterprises that draft and administer national and international regional development/investment projects, as consultants/ experts of the drafting of regional development projects, as social survey specialists, or as specialists/analysts of business, territorial planning, and GIS. They can also continue in the 2nd cycle studies (master's study programme in geography).
Klaudija Kionies: I liked the studies and, in my opinion, it is one of the most promising study programmes in social sciences. The programme was interesting and dynamic, and it stimulated constructive and critical thinking.
Edgaras Grakulskis: during the studies of social geography, I gained valuable experience of work with GIS. The studies expanded my horizons. The knowledge is useful not only at work but also in different life situations.
Ingrida Kazokevičiūtė: the studies were not just theory, we had a lot of practice and got acquainted with many things which expanded our horizons and which we shall use in the future.
Petras Vėlius: bachelor's studies provided us with the knowledge of geography and taught us to create maps and to analyze national economic problems and their distribution. The academic staff was qualified and friendly, able to communicate with students.
Students‘ exchange programme
During the studies, students can take part in the competition for KU Erasmus + programme and to study the courses of social geography in foreign universities with which Erasmus + programme cooperation agreements have been concluded: University of Gdansk, Poland; University of Oradea, Romania; University of Uludag, Turkey; Universities of Turku and Joensuu, Finland; University of Tübingen, Germany; University of Trieste, Italy; Aix-Marseille and Le Havre Universities, France; Plovdiv University, Bulgaria.
More about study programme you can find:
Why Klaipeda University?
- Unique among its scientific research and studies in the marine field
- European Union diploma recognized worldwide
- A wide range of programmes
- International studies in English
- Young and rapidly growing
- High-quality education for a reasonable price
More about Klaipeda University, you can find:
- A member of European Union
- 93,4% have a secondary education. The most educated nation in Europe
- 92% speak a foreign language (usually English, Russian or Germany)
- 94% of foreign students recommend studying in Lithuania
More about studies in Lithuania, you can find in the video:
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 12, 2018