College of Arts and Social Sciences
The Department of Economics and Development Studies was one of the departments created in 1999 at the inception of Igbinedion University Okada.
The curriculum for the department was prepared through the combined efforts of eminent professors in Economics engaged as consultants and pioneer staff of the department.
Since 1999 the curriculum has been implemented to achieve the goal of graduating sound Economists with Bachelor of Science degree in Economics and Development Studies in line with the philosophy and objectives of establishing the Department.
The Department of Political Science & Public Administration of Igbinedion University as one of the foundation departments of the university is a unique department that from its inception has charted distinct pathways to academic excellence. It has programmes which are broad in scope, open and accessible to all.
The Department from its inception in October 1999 developed a programme that transcended the traditional restrictions of learning in similar departments in other Universities, thus transcending all social divides of the time. It is truly a department for anyone who is qualified and open to study in its core vocational areas.
The Department today is a comprehensive research department that interweaves the main elements of similar departments of any Ivy League university with an unusually strong public service mission. Many words can be used to describe the nature of this Department as a whole: complex, creative, entrepreneurial, eminent, and engaged.
Programmes of study are available at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. At the Undergraduate level, our curriculum covers subjects in the fields of Political Science including Comparative Politics, Public Administration, Political Philosophy, International Relations and National Government.
At the Postgraduate level, we offer (i) Masters of Science in Political Science with specialization in either of Comparative Politics, Public Administration and Political Theory; (ii) Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration; (iii) MPhil/ Ph.D.; and (iv) Ph.D. in all of the fields of Political Science.
The objectives of the Department of Political Science and Public Administration are to:
- Produce high-level manpower relevant to the needs of both the public and private sectors bureaucracies;
- Acquaint and students with in-depth understanding of the principles, theory, and practice of politics and administration;
- Foster the nurturing, imbibing and sustenance of acceptable democratic principles through the training of necessary manpower for both the private and public sectors of the economy;
- Train students to be interested in the pursuit of knowledge and skills and so endeavor for higher degrees and knowledge. In this regard, we provide necessary basis for such pursuit;
- Produce students who would contribute their quota towards the integral development of the country.
About the School
The University commenced its academic programmes in the 1999/2000 session in five Colleges namely, Arts and Social Sciences, Business and Management Studies, Health Sciences, Law and Natural and Appli ... Read More