Available Emphasis Areas:
- Field Photography - Emphasis
- Studio Photography - Emphasis
This Bachelor of Science in Photography will provide experience, training, and theory in the techniques of digital photography as well as the opportunity for students to develop their creative eye. The coursework includes studio and location photography, the use of computer image adjustment, working with light, and managing workflow. In addition, the core communication courses provide the essential skills of writing, critical thinking, and communication. Students who pursue this degree will have the opportunity to participate in fieldwork and will be required to produce a senior portfolio project.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Photography?
The making of a quality photograph begins with the vision of the person behind the lens. Train your eye—and mind—to capture the best light: pursue a Bachelor of Science in Photography.
The Bachelor of Science in Photography takes an integrated approach to the discipline that will help you secure a brilliant future in photography or a related field. Coursework in the major is designed to engage you, the student, with a combination of the communication core and in-depth courses in techniques and application of photography. You are provided a solid skills base on which to build a career in commercial photography. In advanced courses, you will focus on the finer details of light manipulation, composition, darkroom technique, digital imaging, photo editing, and much more.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Art direction
- Lighting technology
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Outdoor recreation planner
- Park naturalist
- University professor
- YMCA coordinator
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More