A degree in mathematics will prepare you for a number of possible careers. Please consult the Department of Mathematics and Statistics Math Degree Programs for suggestions on choosing mathematics, statistics, and general electives to meet specific goals including: careers in Actuarial Science, careers in Statistics, careers in Applied Mathematics, and graduate study in Mathematics.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics?
If you enjoy solving problems with a mix of creativity and mathematical techniques, then you are ready to pursue a study of mathematics, and Northern Arizona University can help. Mathematics is a profession in its own right, but it is also an essential tool in every physical and social science, business, engineering, marketing, and countless related careers. Government and industry employers need skilled mathematicians for operations research, numerical analysis, simulation and modeling, data analysis, market research, and commercial surveys. A major in mathematics opens the door to many possibilities.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Higher education
- High-tech industries
- Government agencies
- Insurance industry
- Bio-tech industry
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
- Operations researcher
- Computer scientist
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More