Materials Science and Nanoengineering is an interdisciplinary field that is closely related to diverse disciplines such as physics, chemistry, biology, or chemical and mechanical engineering and mechanics. Materials Science and Nanoengineering (MAT) aims at furnishing its students with the theoretical and practical skills necessary for the understanding, design, and application of advanced technology materials.
Industrial production based on polymers, in particular, can be low-cost, and not consume a large amount of space or energy --making this an attractive field for small-scale venture capital undertakings. More generally, and as a result of the interdisciplinary nature and flexibility of the MAT program, its graduates are likely to enjoy job opportunities ranging from basic and applied research in the physical, chemical, or biological sciences to industries concentrating on advanced technological materials.
Program Educational Objectives
Sabancı University, Materials Science and NanoEngineering (MAT) graduates;
- Work in engineering, research and development, production, operations and management departments of national or international companies as engineers who can solve technical problems, take initiative, develop and execute projects, collaborate with others in a team and undertake the responsibilities of a leader;
- Enroll in positions at leading academic and research institutions that have completed master and Ph.D. programs of respected universities by conducting original research in related disciplines or in an interdisciplinary manner;
- Leverage their entrepreneurial skills and establish start-up companies, which are founded upon state-of-the-art technology and respond to the needs of the society and industry, either individually or with partners, and develop their businesses and become leaders;
With the foundations, knowledge, vision, motivation, and experience they acquire from their undergraduate education.
MAT Program Outcomes
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at SU:
- Understand the world, their country, their society, as well as themselves and have awareness of ethical problems, social rights, values, and responsibility to the self and to others.
- Understand different disciplines from natural and social sciences to mathematics and art, and develop interdisciplinary approaches in thinking and practice.
- Think critically, follow innovations and developments in science and technology, demonstrate personal and organizational entrepreneurship, and engage in life-long learning in various subjects.
- Communicate effectively in Turkish and English by oral, written, graphical, and technological means.
- Take individual and team responsibility, function effectively and respectively as an individual and a member or a leader of a team, and have the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
Common Outcomes of Our Undergraduate Programs at FENS:
- Possess sufficient knowledge of mathematics, science, and program-specific engineering topics; use theoretical and applied knowledge of these areas in complex engineering problems.
- Identify, define, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems; choose and apply suitable analysis and modeling methods for this purpose.
- Develop, choose, and use modern techniques and tools that are needed for analysis and solution of complex problems faced in engineering applications; possess knowledge of standards used in engineering applications; use information technologies effectively.
- Ability to design a complex system, process, instrument, or a product under realistic constraints and conditions, with the goal of fulfilling specified needs; apply modern design techniques for this purpose.
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze, and interpret the results to investigate complex engineering problems or program-specific research areas.
- Knowledge of business practices such as project management, risk management, and change management; awareness on innovation; knowledge of sustainable development.
- Knowledge of the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, health, and societal context; knowledge of contemporary issues; awareness on legal outcomes of engineering solutions; understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
Materials Science and Nanoengineering Program Specific Outcomes:
- Applying fundamental and advanced knowledge of natural sciences as well as engineering principles to develop and design new materials and establish the relation between internal structure and physical properties using experimental, computational, and theoretical tools.
- Merging the existing knowledge on physical properties, design limits, and fabrication methods in materials selection for a particular application or to resolve material performance-related problems.
- Predicting and understanding the behavior of material underuse in a specific environment knowing the internal structure or vice versa.
At SU, students have the chance to choose their majors after their first or second academic year. This allows students to decide what program to study at university with greater understanding about higher education and about their own academic and career interests and talents.
Medium of Instruction and Language Proficiency
The medium of instruction at Sabancı University is English. All undergraduates are required to take the Sabancı University English Language Assessment Exam (ELAE). Students who pass this exam begin their undergraduate programs while those who do not meet the standards of English language proficiency enroll into School of Languages. School of Languages is the English prep school where students learn English for one semester or one year depending on their English proficiency level.
The students who can certify that they have passed one of the national and/or international foreign language examinations at a level determined by the university are entitled to begin undergraduate programs. Please visit our website to learn more about accepted exams and scores for prep school exemption: https://www.sabanciuniv.edu/en/faculties-programs-exemption-exams
International Students may directly apply to undergraduate programs offered at Sabancı University. Students who are in the last year of high school or graduated from a school equivalent to Turkish high schools may apply to undergraduate programs at Sabancı University.
Before online application
You will be asked to upload the following documents, so you need to have scanned versions of each of these ready for upload. Completed applications are reviewed on a continuous basis and you will be informed via e-mail.
All documents regarding the application must be submitted with the online application form. It is required to submit an online application between the dates stated below.
- First Day of Application Period: January 2, 2020
- Last Day for Applications: July 30, 2020 (Online application form will be closed at 16:00 with Turkish time)
Required Documents for Application
- Online Application Form.
- The copy of the exam/diploma result(s) accepted by the University (Sabanci University SAT Code: 7100).
- If available, the copy of High School Diploma (if in another language rather than Turkish or English, a notarized translation should also be submitted).
- An official transcript, showing all courses and grades taken in the entire high school education, signed and stamped by the high school authority. (It is required to upload official transcript in the online application form).
- If taken before, a copy of the language proficiency exam scores accepted by Sabancı University.
- If available, 1 academic letter of recommendation.
Important Note: Applications of those who do not upload the original transcript in the online application form will not be evaluated. The evaluation process can continue if the official high school transcript is uploaded in the online application form.
Scholarship Opportunities for International Students
International students have the opportunity to gain admission scholarshipat Sabancı University. Every international candidate who applies to SU is evaluated for a scholarship automatically when they fullfill the application requirements.
Scholarships are merit-based. International students have the chance to win different tier tuition-waiver scholarships such as: 100%, 75%, 50%, 25% scholarships. There is also a limited number of dormitory scholarships available at a room for four people.
International Student Applications for Undergraduate Programs
Applications for undergraduate programs are now open. You can reach the application form here.
Follow Us on Social Media
About the School
With science, technology, and social structures advancing day by day, the world needs more qualified individuals who possess the knowledge and skills required to pursue a career anywhere in the world. ... Read More