This degree prepares you to teach middle or high school chemistry (grades 7-12). It is firmly grounded in chemistry content, with significant work in teacher preparation through the highly acclaimed NAUTeach science and mathematics teacher certification program. This plan will prepare you to teach this relevant, exciting, and increasingly marketable subject.
This program is nationally recognized by the National Science Teachers Association.
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (N.C.A.T.E.).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education - Chemistry?
You don't need to decide between teaching or becoming a chemist, you can do both by teaching chemistry to high school students. If this sounds like a fulfilling career, allow our program to guide you toward certification and prepare you to shape the lives of future scientists. You'll emerge from this major with the skills necessary to reach a wide range of students, and you'll enjoy a diverse and collaborative learning environment that is focused on student learning and success.
Note: You must apply and be accepted to the NAU Professional Education Program's teacher education program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Secondary (middle or high school) chemistry teacher
- Science department chair
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Curriculum specialist
- School administrator
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More