Students who wish to teach middle or high school Biology in the secondary schools (7-12) will find this degree essential. Firmly grounded in Biology, with significant work in teacher preparation through the highly acclaimed NAUTeach science and mathematics teacher certification program, the plan establishes the professional conduit for teaching this exciting subject.
This program is nationally recognized by the National Science Teachers Association.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education - Biology?
Create the middle or high school biology classroom of the future. In this degree plan, you'll learn how to get students involved in learning about the complicated concepts they need to understand to succeed. This degree will help you develop the knowledge and skills you need to be a secondary education teacher with comprehensive expertise in life sciences. Because of your knowledge, your students will tackle the environmental, health, and ecological challenges that lie ahead.
You'll also have the opportunity to complete fieldwork, laboratory exercises, and practicum experiences for your professional preparation. You'll learn advanced approaches to teaching and curriculum in a rigorous, diverse, and collaborative inquiry-based atmosphere. Earning this degree will help you move forward in your teaching career as well as enhance your students' educational experience.
Note: If you want to major in Secondary Education - Biology, you must apply and be accepted to the NAU Professional Education Program's teacher education program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Secondary biology or life science teacher
- Science department chair
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Curriculum specialist
- School administrator
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
About the School
Northern Arizona University is a public university offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees of high quality and societal value. As a student, you are at the center of the NAU experi ... Read More