BSc in Economics
WELCOME TO METU NCC ECONOMICS PROGRAM
Having started education in academic year 2004-2005, the first graduating class of the Economics Program received their BSc degrees in 2008. Since then, our alumni, a short while before or after graduation, have been finding high-quality jobs especially in the private sector and receiving acceptance letters from leading universities to pursue master’s and doctorate studies in various areas, thanks to their reputable diplomas certified under METU’s guarantee. Achievements of our alumni have always been our greatest pride.
Appreciating our students as competent and esteemed economists of the future, we bring them up through METU’s institutionalized system of higher education and tradition of high-quality research. It is also part of our education policy to abide strictly by the international standards of higher education, while keeping track of scientific novelties attentively.
We combine contemporary economics curriculum of world-wide pioneering universities with the well-established academic culture of the Economics Department of the METU Ankara Campus. Highly qualified and broad enough in terms of scope and depth, our curriculum not only enables our students to succeed in post-graduate studies, job exams and interviews, but also makes them accustomed to overcoming prospective difficulties they will face in business life.
We are proud of generating competent and reputable “METU Economists”, who are well-informed in all fields of economics. The BSc Degree in Economics held by our alumni is a signal for the internalization of social-scientific thinking and acquisition of technical and analytical skills that are required in post-graduate education and business life. Equipped with a strong sense of social responsibility, our alumni are capable of developing theoretical and practical solutions to complex economic and administrative problems.
We are aware that many of university candidates and their families have essential questions, such as:
- What is Economics?
- Why Economics?
- Why Economics at METU NCC?
We made a frank effort to address these crucial questions. University candidates and their families are cordially invited to examine especially these links, along with all other related components of our web-page.
As members of the METU Family, “we can change the world”.
You can also start to change the world by joining the “Family of METU Economists”.
With our best wishes and regards,
Academic Staff of the Economics Program
WHY ECONOMICS AT METU NCC?
- Having started research and education activities in the academic year 2004-2005, the first graduating class of our Economics Program received their BSc degrees in 2008.
- Appreciating our students as the competent and reputable economists of the future, we educate them through METU's institutionalized system of teaching and tradition of high-quality research, complying fully with the international standards and keeping track of scientific novelties.
- Our Program blends contemporary economics curriculum of leading universities in the world with the well-established academic tradition of the Economics Department of the METU Ankara Campus. The scope and depth of our curriculum enable our alumni to succeed in post-graduate studies, job exams and interviews.
- We aim to teach theoretical and applied economics (through mathematical models and statistical methods) as extensively and efficiently as possible. We enforce our technical strength and advantage in economics education by accommodating a good deal of historical and institutional approaches within a pluralist and functional context.
- Our students graduate from our Program by learning all the knowledge and skills needed for "economics literacy" and by getting accustomed to overcoming prospective difficulties they will face in business life. Having an excellent command of the English language, our alumni are equipped with the broadest base of economic knowledge in theoretical, applied and historical terms at the scale of undergraduate economics education.
- Our students graduate from our Program with the title of "Economist". Our alumni possess all the advantages of being a "METU Economist" in searching for and finding jobs. Certified under METU's guarantee, their BSc degree diplomas provide our alumni with various and high-quality job opportunities. Approved by METU President's signature, the diplomas are awarded officially by "METU Northern Cyprus Campus of the Republic of Turkey".
- A short while before or after their graduation, our alumni start to reap the benefits of their METU-guaranteed diplomas by finding prominent jobs in outstanding private firms, banks, financial corporations, and public institutions, and receiving acceptance letters from the post-graduate programs of leading universities.
- Education and research activities in our Economics Program are carried out by six full-time academics resident in Northern Cyprus, along with academics from the METU Ankara Campus who come to give support to the NCC on a regular basis.
- All of our academic staffs have PhD degrees from pioneering universities of the world. All academic appointments and promotions at METU NCC are carried out in accordance with METU's academic criteria that keep the bar at a very high level. Those students who achieve to enroll in the Economics Program at METU NCC find the opportunity to learn economics from internationally experienced academic staffs with qualified research backgrounds.
- While our Program implements a similar curriculum to that of the Economics Department of the METU Ankara Campus, our major advantages are the much smaller number of students in the classes and much lower student-per-instructor ratios. Thus, we are able to take care of and follow up our students much more closely in both academic and social terms.
- METU Economists are brought up so as to internalize social-scientific thinking and acquire technical and analytical skills required in post-graduate education and business life. Equipped with a strong sense of social responsibility, METU Economists are capable of developing theoretical and practical solutions to complex economic and administrative problems.
- The academic staff of the Economics Program at METU NCC have the following principal goals:
- Generating theoretical, applied and historical knowledge as to the functioning of the economy, economic policies and socioeconomic development by conducting research at international standards,
- Contributing to the development of economics literatureandsocial sciences at international level by transforming their research activities into high-quality academic publications,
- Transferring their academic knowledge and experience to the students for bringing up competent and reputable "METU Economists", who are well-informed in all fields of economics.
Economics at METU NCC:
Our academic staff explaining the advantages of economics education at METU NCC:
- Benefitting from their METU NCC diplomas awarded under METU’s guarantee and reputation, a short while before or after their graduation, alumni of the Economics Program find jobs in various areas in TRNC, Turkey and the world.
- Private sector firms, especially financial corporations, audit companies and banks always offer attractive job opportunities to our alumni.
- Our alumni receive acceptance letters from the Master’s and doctorate programs of the leading universities in Turkey and the world.
- Economics education in our Program is broad enough in scope and depth so that our alumni can also find jobs in public institutions like economy-related ministries, statistical institutes, competition authorities, central banks, capital market boards, regulation and supervision agencies in various countries, as well as in international economic organizations such as the World Bank, IMF, UNCTAD, etc.
- ECO 101 Introduction to Economics I 4-0)4
- ECO 102 Introduction to Economics II (4-0)4
- ECO 201 Intermediate Microeconomics (4-0)4
- ECO 202 Intermediate Macroeconomics (4-0)4
- ECO 205 Statistics for Economists (4-0)4
- ECO 210 Principles of Economics (3-0)3
- ECO 211 Economic History (3-0)3
- ECO 212 History of Economic Thought (3-0)3
- ECO 275 Mathematics for Economists (3-0)3
- ECO 280 Engineering Economy (3-0)3
- ECO 303 International Trade Theory and Policy (3-0)3
- ECO 304 International Macroeconomics (3-0)3
- ECO 306 Monetary Theory and Policy (3-0)3
- ECO 311 Principles of Econometrics (4-0)4
- ECO 312 Principles of Econometrics II (4-0)4
- ECO 313 Public Finance (3-0)3
- ECO 400 Graduation Project (0-6)3
- ECO 406 Real Estate Economics and Finance (3-0)3
- ECO 411 Topics in Economic History (3-0)3
- ECO 412 Turkish Economy (3-0)3
- ECO 413 Applied Statistics (3-0)3
- ECO 421 Economics of Integration and the EU (3-0)3
- ECO 443 Game Theory (3-0)3
- ECO 451 Industrial Economics (3-0)3
- ECO 452 Agricultural Trade Policies (3-0)3
- ECO 465 Development Economics (3-0)3
- ECO 466 Economics of Growth (3-0)3
- ECO 480 World Economy (3-0)3
- ECO 487 Experimental Economics (3-0)3
- ECO 498 Labor Market Economics (3-0)3
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 22, 2016