Details of the program
- Duration: 4 years
- Credit units: 240
- Entrance examinations: Russian language, geography, mathematics
- Educational departments: Meteorology and Climatology; Hydrology
The Faculty of Geology and Geography, on the basis of which highly qualified specialists in the field of hydrometeorology are trained, is one of the most versatile faculties of Tomsk State University.
The traditions of the first classical university in Siberia are combined with innovative research and non-standard approaches to learning.
Within the framework of the “Hydrometeorology” direction, two educational programs are implemented: “Land Hydrology” and “Meteorology”, so a student can choose his own learning path .
Training is conducted in Russian. The applicant must have a basic knowledge of geography and mathematics. An interest in studying physics and chemistry is welcome.
Resource support for programs includes a set of laboratories (meteorological laboratory, laboratory of synoptic and aeronautical meteorology, laboratory of numerical methods, hydraulics training laboratory and research laboratory of hydrological and environmental problems) and field practice bases in the Tomsk region, the Altai Republic and Khakassia.
- Leading professors, teachers, employers from specialized organizations;
- Availability of production practices in specialized structures
- Participation in the scientific work of the departments in the framework of grant support
- Solving real production problems
- Employment in the specialty immediately after graduation
- Physical meteorology
- Dynamic meteorology
- Aviation meteorology
- Synoptic meteorology
- Methods and means of meteorological measurements
- Meteorological measurements
- Numerical methods for weather analysis and forecasting
- Remote measurement methods
- Space research methods in meteorology
- Long-term weather forecasts
- Hydrology of rivers, lakes and swamps, reservoirs
- Methods and tools for hydrological measurements
- River flow and hydrological calculations
- Flux dynamics and channel processes
- Hydrological forecasts
- Geographic information systems in hydrology
Hydrometeorological students are regularly trained in Russian research institutes (for example, Institute of Water and Environmental Problems of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, State Research Center "Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute", Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Ecological Systems of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Atmospheric Optics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences) and the world (for example, Lund University (Sweden), Kapodistrias University (Greece)).
Graduates of the direction occupy leading positions in relevant organizations (such as the Hydrometeorological Service of Russia), state organizations in the field of environmental protection, research, design and survey organizations, space centers, aviation synoptic groups, etc.
About the School
TSU is the oldest university in Russian Asia, in Siberia, that was founded in 1878 in Tomsk, Russia. It was the First Siberian Imperial University.