Looking to build a rewarding career in the financial and broader business sector but don’t want to embark on a full accounting and finance degree? Our BSc Business Management and Finance is the ideal choice.
On this degree, you’ll develop the key competencies required of financial managers, and become equipped to work in a wide range of private, public and third-sector organisations, ready to adapt rapidly to change.
Gaining detailed knowledge of management and finance, you’ll become a confident, independent thinker, with the ability to analyse financial markets and predict financial performance.
You’ll explore corporate strategy, business ethics and business finance in-depth, and develop a deeper understanding of how financial institutions and monetary systems operate.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of business and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business, management and finance. Your Academic Guidance Tutor will also be there to guide your learning and career development, and you’ll have access to our extensive employability events.
In preparation for your future career, you’ll develop many skills employers value, including the ability to identify and solve business problems and to communicate your ideas with impact.
- Develop and track your own increasing ability to add value to organisations through our Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules.
- Work in teams on problem-based activities, gathering evidence of your knowledge, skills and attributes, and developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
- Establish an overview of business organisations in a global context and explore key areas of business such as finance, management and marketing.
- Build your experience of management (including managing people across different cultures, supply chain management and project management).
- Choose to develop your specialist knowledge through modules in Global Financial Markets and Analysing Financial Performance.
- Continue to develop your business readiness, so you can demonstrate to potential employers the skills you’ve gained.
- At the end of year two, you’ll have the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
- Build your financial skills through a dissertation, focusing on a particular area of interest.
- Develop your understanding of business management and finance through modules such as Business Ethics and Responsible Management, where you’ll learn to apply ethical decision making and responsible management to a range of situations.
- Other modules include Economics of Money, Banking and Finance and Corporate Finance.
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multi-national, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to evidence the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem-solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘Business Ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experiences gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects, and other activities. The Business Readiness module guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills –Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals - many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet with business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects the latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep, student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as ACCA, CMI and CIPD, who accredit our degrees.
- Roehampton Business Society (URBS). The URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
The Roehampton Business School offers all students the option to apply for a one-year paid work placement.
A placement year is a perfect opportunity to implement the ‘business readiness’ skills you will learn in year one and two, whilst gaining valuable work experience.
If you successfully secure a work placement, you will develop your CV during the year and will be provided with access to the University's support services and regular academic guidance from the Business School.
The opportunity to make connections in your chosen industry will greatly improve your career prospects and equip you with the experience you need to secure a graduate-level job with a higher graduate salary.
The Business School will offer support in applying for placements, however, placement cannot be guaranteed.
You will be equipped to work in corporate finance, banking, insurance and business consultancy, as well as specialist and generalist management roles. You could also progress to further study with us on our MSc Global Financial Management.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
About the School
We change lives by helping our students to develop the confidence, knowledge and values they need for a successful and fulfilling life. We produce world-class research that helps us understand the wor ... Read More