This one-year postgraduate degree follows the undergraduate program in Construction Studies and results in a professional qualification as a Construction Manager. Graduates will be qualified to identify, analyze, and solve problems in the field of construction assembly and manage the construction process. The degree provides graduates with the necessary foundation to specialize further in project management, property management, and housing at the Master's level.
Aims of the Program
To provide employable management graduates to the construction industry; to fully satisfy the criteria for accreditation in terms of the requirements of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP), the Project Management Institute (PMI), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the South African Council for the Quantity Surveying Profession (SACQSP).
Outcomes of the Program
Upon completion of the BSc (Hons) in Construction Management program, the graduate is competent to:
- identify, analyze and solve problems in the field of construction assembly and management of the process;
- perform a number of potential roles within a constructor organization, after an appropriate period of practical experience;
- work effectively in teams; and
- undertake research and produce reports.
A person shall not be admitted as a candidate for the degree unless he or she:
- is a graduate of the BSc in Construction Studies degree from this university; or
- is the holder of any three-year bachelor’s degree of this, or any other university recognized for the purpose by the Senate as equivalent to the BSc in Construction Studies degree of this University; or
- has in any other manner attained a level of competence which in the opinion of the Senate is adequate for the purpose of admission;
- a weighted average of at least 60% for all courses are undertaken for a bachelor’s degree with results for deferred (but not supplementary) examinations to be taken into account.
Please contact the Department on 021 650 3443 for detailed course information.
About the School
Vibrant, multicultural and dynamic, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) shares the pace and energy of cosmopolitan Johannesburg, the city whose name it carries. Proudly South African, the university i ... Read More