Psychology is the scientific study of behaviour and the human mind. At Middlesex University Dubai, we offer a solid grounding in modern psychology – a body of theoretical and practical knowledge concerning human behaviour and experiences. This programme combines a broad education in psychology with a specialist strand to develop counselling and interpersonal skills together with an understanding of the theory and practice of counselling.
You will focus on the systems and theories that underpin both psychology and counselling, culminating in the submission of a portfolio of research and knowledge. Graduates of the programme will be eligible and well-prepared to undertake specialised postgraduate training to become qualified to practice as clinical or counselling psychologists.
Combining Psychology with Another Discipline
This Honours degree programme offers students a solid grounding in Psychology but also allows some specialisation in complementary areas through the various pathways available. The programme is specifically designed for those who wish to pursue a career within clinical or counselling occupations where a detailed understanding of human behaviour is important. The psychology programme has a strong focus on the practical investigation of human behaviour, culminating in the opportunity to undertake an independent piece of research in the final year.
Why Study BSc Honours Psychology with Counselling Skills?
Psychology and Counseling are disciplines that incorporate a great many approaches to the understanding of human behaviour. Your programme combines a broad education in Psychology with a specialist strand that focuses on Counselling skills, theory and practice. Successful completion of the programme confers the Graduate Basis for Chartership with the British Psychology Society, which is an important first step for those who wish to pursue further training in areas such as clinical, counselling, educational, forensic or health psychology.
This programme is designed for those who wish to pursue a career where an in-depth understanding and knowledge of human behaviour is essential, and counselling skills are an important asset. It is important to note that though as a graduate of this programme you will not be qualified to practice as either a counsellor or psychologist, you will be eligible and well-prepared to undertake specialised postgraduate training leading into these professions.
The degree provides a sound understanding of basic core courses that start at foundation level in year one and develops in-depth and details in year 2 and 3. The main focus of various modules is to enhance critical thinking and evaluation of taught concepts and theories, the development of basic counselling skill and self-awareness, preparation for taking up future studies in clinical forensic or other applied fields, acquiring numerical and analytical skills which culminate into developing the capacity to carry out an independent research project. In addition to all other basic core modules, students must complete a dissertation which is intended to demonstrate the student’s ability to carry out a research-oriented piece of work and to relate the theoretical knowledge gained through the programme to empirical data. For the dissertation, the focus is on independent, self-managed, self-directed study within a framework of supervision.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Mind & Behaviour in Context (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Personal Coaching for Academic Success (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Psychological Statistics (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- The Counselling Relationship (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Research Methods and Design in Psychology (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Approaches to Psychological Therapies (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Therapeutic Applications of Cognitive Psychology & Neuroscience (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Social, Personality and Development Psychology (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Applied Psychology and Research Methods Ethics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Social, Cultural & Community Mental Health (15 Credits) - Compulsory
- Psychology Dissertation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Lifespan Issues: Impact of Life Experience (15 Credits) - Optional
- Lifespan Stages: Adult stages of development (15 Credits) - Optional
- The Psychology of Stress, Motivation and Work-Life Balance (15 Credits) - Optional
- Key Issues and Controversies in the Psychology of Elite Sports Performance (15 Credits) - Optional
- Death, Separation and Loss (15 Credits) - Optional
- New Directions in Cognitive Science (15 Credits) - Optional
- Creativity & Imagination (15 Credits) - Optional
- Critical Forensic Psychology (15 Credits) - Optional
- Applying health Psychology to behaviour change (15 Credits) - Optional
- Neuropsychology: The healthy brain and what can go wrong with it (15 Credits) - Optional
- Coaching Psychology (30 Credits) - Optional
Christina Morillo / Pexels
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
Equipped with a wide range of academic, practical, counselling and research skills, graduates may take up roles in various clinics and organisations related to the counselling and health professions, or continue their studies to specialise in specific areas of interest within Psychology or the Social Sciences. Students who have studied Psychology can seek British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditation and are then eligible to take a conversion diploma in the United Kingdom after graduation. Postgraduate study and training are essential for those wishing to pursue the Chartered Psychology careers including counselling; clinical; organisational; educational and forensic psychology. Our Careers and Employability Service will offer students a range of support throughout their studies and this continues after graduation.
About the School
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Read More