The BSc Honours Information Technology programme is structured in ways that map explicitly on modern technology and includes systems design, application development, network design and management, and web application development.
Why Study BSc Honours Information Technology?
An Information Technology degree is a basis for a wide range of exciting IT-based careers including network management, systems design engineering, software development and web application development. Students will be taught by experts in the field in a high-tech lab and have access to specialist equipment. The specialist features of the programme are:
- Students develop a core set of transferable technical skills as well as a strong background in professional ethics.
- Practical hands-on work in modern labs will be used to illustrate the application of theory and concepts.
- Students develop project management skills related to information systems and technology projects and have an opportunity to implement these skills in their final year project.
- Students have an edge as the University works with companies such as Microsoft, Dell EMC, IBM, Oracle and SAP in addition to being Cisco Net Academy – meaning the student will have access to the latest equipment and can make use of specialist teaching materials and workshops.
- Programme content is enriched by providing industry engagement opportunities to students through industry speakers and field trips.
- Career coaching and support is available to all students through the Careers and Employability Service.
- Option to transfer to London campus.
- Excellent industry engagement opportunities, especially organization where we have formal alliances e.g Cisco, Dell EMC, IBM, Oracle and SAP.
- Opportunity for professional certifications e.g. CCNA, Dell EMC Associate certificate in Cloud Infrastructure and Services, Dell EMC Associate certificate in Data Science.
- ESD compliant Computer Engineering Lab with state-of-the-art National Instruments equipment.
- Opportunity to work on industry projects as part of final year projects and coursework.
- Opportunity to engage with high profile professionals at invited guest talks and field trips.
- Opportunity to participate in various IT competitions and Hackathons under faculty mentorship.
- Gain leadership experience by joining the MDX Computing Society.
- Entry to various events and talks open only to Universities that have MoU with the British Computer Society – Middle East section.
Students will study core modules such as Web Development, Information Systems Foundations and IT Infrastructure and various optional IT modules. They will learn how a modern enterprise works and how to use a wide range of technologies to support its operation. In addition, the students will have the opportunity to put what you have learned to practical use and make valuable industry contacts.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Information in Organisations (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Emerging Technologies in Practice (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Introduction to Programming (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Computing Systems Architecture and Operating Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Web Applications and Databases (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Project Management and Professional Practice (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Data Management and Business Intelligence (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Operating Systems and Computer Networks (30 Credits) - Optional
- Information Systems Design and Analysis (30 Credits) - Optional
- Web-based Mobile App Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- UG Individual Project (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Novel Interaction Technologies (30 Credits) - Optional
- Digital Media Engineering (30 Credits) - Optional
- Strategic Management and Information Systems (30 Credits) - Optional
- User Experience (UX) Design (30 Credits) - Optional
- Advanced Web Development with Big Data (30 Credits) - Optional
- Teaching Computer Science in the Secondary School (30 Credits) - Optional
- Industrial Network Design and Management (30 Credits) - Optional
- Business Intelligence (30 Credits) - Optional
Luca Bravo / Unsplash
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
The degree prepares students for a wide range of varied careers. Graduates will have excellent career prospects and the range of potential employers will be vast across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. There is also the potential to be self-employed. Careers include key roles in the IT support sector, in the wider area of IT project development and where web, database and multimedia skills are required.
Links with the employment market is established by visiting speakers from relevant sections of the industry. The industry partners offer internships, deliver visiting lectures, assist with field trips and recruit at the University’s Careers Day each year.
About the School
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Read More