Accounting and Finance focuses on the crucial role which financial information plays in decisions made by management teams, and in the monitoring and planning of a business organisation’s objectives. This degree programme is one of a set of undergraduate programmes designed by Aston University and offered at Muscat University. This is a dual degree programme, leading to the award of an Aston University degree and a Muscat University degree.
In your first year, you will study a wide range of business subjects, gaining a broad insight into management required by all accounting professionals.
From the second year, you will explore financial and management accounting in-depth, participate in events organized in conjunction with accountancy firms, visit businesses, and undertake an interactive business game module.
You will spend your third year on placement in the industry. This experience will be of great benefit both in terms of your development as an accountant and in your final year performance.
This structure ensures your degree is taught with both a professional orientation and proper regard for the conceptual bases of the subject. In your final year, accounting studies are taken to a more refined level, similar to professional qualification standards, but retaining theoretical analysis.
The BSc in Accounting and Finance aims to:
- Provide students with an excellent learning experience informed by current developments in research and practice.
- Provide well-qualified and highly employable graduates with key skills for operating in accounting, finance, and management roles and for life-long learning and development.
- Meet the accreditation requirements of the main accountancy bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA) with a view to earning an appropriate level of exemptions.
- Ensure relevance by maintaining and enhancing links with business, professional, and public sector organisations.
Applicants will typically need one of the following qualifications (or international equivalent (typically high school leaving certificate) recognized by Ministry of Education) for admission to the programme:
- A-Level: Minimum grades BBC, and where possible: 5 GCSE (or equivalent) grades A*-C to include GCSE Maths grade B, unless presented at A level
- IB: Minimum 30 points, with minimum scores of 5, 5, 5, at Higher Level, plus a minimum score of 5 in Maths at Standard Level, if not taken at Higher Level
- Successful completion of the Muscat University Foundation Programme
- A student who has successfully completed the foundation year in any other educational institution can be admitted to the programme. Applicant must have taken a Mathematics module The application will subject to evaluation by the university’s academics prior to the admission.
- A student who has completed at least one academic year in an academic institution without studying a foundation year such as the Australian Matriculation, Canadian Matriculation, or any other equivalent qualification can be admitted to the programme. Applicants must have taken the Mathematics module. The application will be subject to evaluation by the university’s academics prior to admission.
All applicants will be required to provide evidence of a recognized English language qualification, which include the following:
- GCSE English language: Minimum grade C
- IB English language: Minimum score of 5 in English at Standard level or a minimum score of 4 in English at a Higher level.
- Muscat University Foundation Programme (MUFP): Minimum score of 55% in the Academic Reading and Writing module, and Academic Listening and Speaking module or its equivalent modules in other institutions’ Foundation Year
- IELTS: Minimum of 6.5 overall
- TOEFL: Minimum of 93 overall
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Careers in Accounting||Making Managerial Decisions using Accounting Information||Professional Placement Year||Strategic Management|
|Foundations in Financial and Management Accounting||Financial Accounting||-||Advanced Financial Accounting|
|Introduction to Organisational Behaviour||Financial Management||-||Strategic Management Accounting|
|Law for Business||Company Reporting and Audit||-||Taxation: Policy and Practice|
|Principles of Operations Management||Principles of Corporate Law||-||Risk Management|
|Foundations of Business Analytics||Business Game||-||International Finance|
|An Introduction to Business Economics||Business Policy||-||Financial Analysis|
|-||Business, Government and Society||-||Auditing and Professional Ethics|
About the School
Muscat University’s mission, vision, and values are underpinned by four essential themes: ethics, excellence, entrepreneurship, and innovation.