BSc (Hons) in Facilities & Workplace Management - Blended
Are you interested in advancing your career in facilities management with a BSc in Facilities and Workplace Management? This honours degree has been designed by Portobello Institute for flexible learning so you can study in your own time. Supported seminars are delivered over the weekend with one to one support available to you throughout your learning journey. Attendance at supported seminars is not mandatory.
We understand the educational needs of those working in the FM sector, the challenges of working long hours in a demanding role, whilst trying to balance home life. This degree and mode of learning is ideally suited to you and will support you to achieve the qualifications you need to progress your career. This BSc (Hons) in Facilities & Workplace Management and the follow-on programme of a Masters in Facilities & Workplace Management.are the only programmes and qualifications of their type available in Ireland.
Why should I study this degree?
Portobello Institute's BSc Hons in Facilities and Workplace Management gives you the opportunity to attain a level 8 honours degree through a flexible mode of delivery designed to fit learning around your busy working life. With the demand and opportunities for professionally qualified FM's at an all-time high, this degree draws on the range of disciplines from financial to risk management, leadership to project management, and operations management to innovation and business development. This industry-specific BSc Honours degree is the only qualification of its type available to those seeking to gain a qualification and advance within this fast-paced sector.
What is Blended Learning?
This BSc Hons in Facilities and Workplace Management has been specifically designed for delivery by blended learning. It is very suited to you if you are working full-time with limited spare time, yet you want to achieve your degree qualification. This course is delivered over 3 academic years, each 8 months in duration, with supported seminars held during scheduled weekends. The content for this programme is accessed through the online learning platform, Moodle. Everything required to complete this course is contained on this easy to navigate and use platform. Part of the first workshop is a tutorial on how to use the online platform and find information needed.
What will I learn during this BSc (Hons) in Facilities and Workplace Management?
During this programme, you will learn skills such as critically analysing and problem-solving, the foundations for developing strategic decision-making skills. You will learn about the key theories, concepts and frameworks underpinning the study of Business Management in an FM context. Practical industry insights and presentations ensure that you can relate theory to real-life work scenarios. You will learn about the role that Facilities & Workplace Management has in the broader context of how modern organisations perform and the effects of the external environment on facilities management.
Who will I learn from?
The programme management and tutoring team on this Facilities and Workplace Management degree have been carefully selected on the basis of their qualifications and combined practical experience in Facilities Management and education. Their experience in both the sector and education affords our students the opportunity for guidance and assistance throughout their learning journey.
Free-Photos / Pixabay
BSc (Hons) in Facilities & Workplace Management awarded at level 8 by London Metropolitan University (LMU). This is awarded at level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Qualifications Frameworks in Ireland and the UK
The Irish and UK qualifications authorities have collaborated on initiatives that promote the transparency, recognition and mobility of qualifications between our respective jurisdictions. The qualifications authorities in the UK and Ireland have agreed the qualifications frameworks in operation, Brexit will not impact this agreement.
Students are registered as undergraduate students of London Metropolitan University and will receive a student card confirming their student status.
Entry Requirements & Application Process
Entry is by direct application to Portobello Institute.
To recognise your previous qualifications and give you credit for the experiential learning you have as a result of your work to date, we have designed this degree with multiple entry points. If you are unsure where you fit, please contact us on 01-8920020 or by email email@example.com and we can support you identify the correct entry point for you.
Entry to First Year
If you are seeking to enter the first year of this degree, you must meet one of the following criteria.
- BIFM Level 3
- Leaving Certificate
- Experiential Learning in FM or related field
- Senior trade certificate
Advanced Entry to Second Year
You may apply for advanced entry to the second year of the BSc (Hons) in Facilities & Workplace Management if you meet one of the following criteria.
- Relevant other 3rd level qualification eg: IWFM Level 4 Diploma
- Senior Trade Cert with significant experience and three senior endorsements – requires entry assessment via the application process
Advanced Entry to Third Year
You may apply for advanced entry to the final year of the BSc (Hons) in Facilities & Workplace Management if you meet one of the following criteria.
- Relevant other Level 7 degree
- Level 5 or 6 graduates from IWFM Diploma
Entry using Experiential Learning
Students may apply for entry to the MSc Facilities & Workplace Management using the experience gained in the workplace in place of prior educational qualifications if they meet ONE of the following criteria. Applications are reviewed on a case by case basis with practical management knowledge key criteria for entry via this route.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a senior role at management level
- Significant work experience in an operational role.
- Step 1 - Complete the online booking form.
- Step 2 - Applicants will be contacted for confirmation/evidence of meeting the entry criteria and year of entry will be confirmed.
- Step 3 - Confirmation of a place will be given to applicants immediately meeting the criteria.
- Applicants who do not meet the criteria may be required to attend the IWFM level 3 certificate with an offer of a place on the programme issued following completion of this certificate. This programme is available through Portobello Institute.
Please note places on this course are only confirmed once tuition fees have been received. Early application is advised.
089photoshootings / Pixabay
Course Structure, Support & Online Learning
This is a blended learning course delivered over 3 academic years with supported seminars held during scheduled weekends.
Semester 1 & 2, 25/01/20 – 29/08/20
Each module commences with a seminar that is designed to support you to complete the module. Attendance at seminars is not mandatory and delivered with the purpose of introducing you to your module tutor, setting out the learning outcomes, content, the assessment strategy and expectations for skills/knowledge development.
All of the course material is held on the Moodle online learning portal which is easy to use online platform specifically designed for online learning programmes. During the induction, you will be introduced to the platform with a practical demonstration of how to use the portal and access lessons quickly and easily. To complete this course, you must have a basic knowledge of using a computer and searching the internet for research purposes.
Course Aims, Learning Outcomes & Content
During this honours degree programme, you will develop subject-specific knowledge in the modules detailed below. We will support you to develop skills such as critically analysing and problem-solving - the foundations for developing strategic decision-making skills. Practical industry insights and presentations ensure that you can relate theory to real-life work scenarios.
The learning outcomes for the BSc (Hons)in Facilities & Workplace Management are as follows:
- To develop comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the key theories, concepts and frameworks underpinning the study of Business Management in an FM context.
- To evaluate the role that Facilities & Workplace Management has in the broader context of how the modern organisation performs.
- To appraise how technological developments shape energy management practices in modern facilities.
- To evaluate how the external environment affects facilities management and its workplace.
- Fundamentals of Management
- Decision making in Facilities Management
- Understanding Workplace and Facilities Management
- Workplace Operations and Facilities Management
- Business Research Methods
- Leadership and Change in the Workplace
- Workplace Risk Management
- Property and Asset Management in Facilities Management
- Managing People for Facilities Management
- Budgeting for Facilities Management
- Strategic Management for the Workplace and Facilities Management
- Workplace and Facilities Management Research Assignment
- Project Management in Facilities Management
- Workplace and Facilities Management Support Services Operations
- Corporate and social responsibility and Energy Management for Facilities Managers
- Financial Management
- Procurement and Contracts Management for the Workplace and Facilities Management
The titles of these modules are subject to change.
Course Fees and Easy Payment Plan
Course price €4,995 per year
LMU Assessment fee £385 stg
Easy Payment Plan
The following plan is available to students who wish to spread out the payment for this programme.
- €1,200 deposit payable upon booking.
- 8 payments of €510 payable on 10th of the month commencing the month after the start date - total cost - €5,280
- Assessment fees are due on or before the start date.
Please note that International students are not eligible for payment plans.
About the School
Portobello Institute was established in 1981 and is built on the shoulders of some very wonderful and inspirational individuals. The Institute was originally set up by Delia Lyons and has been continu ... Read More