Finance is the study and practice of making money-denominated decisions. Individuals, business corporations, and government agencies located worldwide are all concerned with securing, managing, and investing funds efficiently; i.e., they must practice sound financial decision making. As a discipline, finance can be classified into six areas: corporate financial management, investments, financial institutions and markets, banking and insurance, personal financial planning, and real estate investment and valuation.
Why Study Finance at SHIP?
The Finance Program at Shippensburg University focuses on the application of finance concepts. Required courses in applied analysis give students a real-world feeling for finance. In addition to two applied courses in market, company, and security analysis, the finance major can apply for admission to the Investment Management Program class. In this class, students utilize their accumulated knowledge and skills in the management of a real $ investment portfolio.
Ship has a well-established Business Internship Program that provides opportunities for on-the-job experience while gaining college credits. Finance majors intern at security brokerage firms, financial services firms, commercial banks, manufacturing firms, as well as government agencies. Internships often turn into job offers, according to post-graduate surveys of Ship business students.
Careers in Finance
As a finance major, you will develop a wide range of analytical skills that will allow you to choose a career within a full spectrum of jobs, such as:
- Financial planner
- Security analyst
- Portfolio manager
- Corporate risk manager
- Real estate analyst/appraiser
The demand for finance graduates is high and continues to grow. For further information on career opportunities in finance, visit www.careers-in-finance.com.
The average salary for Finance jobs in PA is $62,000.
Major and Minor Requirements
The undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree in Finance requires the completion of a minimum of 120 credit hours in the following areas:
- General Education Courses: All students are required to complete the university's general education program, which provides a balanced liberal arts foundation.
- Business Core Curriculum: Finance majors take the same core curriculum as other business majors. This core includes economics, finance, information systems, marketing, organization behavior, and business law as well as other business subjects. See the College of Business website for complete course listings.
- Finance Courses: The courses required of the major provide students with the academic background necessary to be successful professionals. See a complete list on the Finance Program page.
- Personal Financial Planning Concentration: Students may complete additional courses to prepare for the CFP® (Certified Financial Planner) examination and earn this professional certification.
The John L. Grove College of Business, established in 1971, is one of the premier business schools in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Since 1981, our college has been internationally accredited by the most prestigious business-accrediting agency, AACSB International.
The John L. Grove College of Business has a number of clubs for students to participate in and learn more about their area of study outside the classroom. Student Professional Organizations provide a variety of opportunities for students to develop professional contacts, enhance their course of study with hands-on application, and build lasting friendships within the business community. During the senior year, students are invited to take part in the Investment Management Program class, where they will manage a real-money portfolio. For more information, visit the IMP website. Outside of the classroom, the Investment Club gives students a hands-on experience in managing the Ship Global Collegiate Fund. These groups have been recognized for excellence in portfolio management at regional and national competitions.
About the School
The John L. Grove College of Business, established in 1971, is one of the premier business schools in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Since 1981, our college has been internationally accredited by the most p ... Read More