- TOP 5% among U.S. Business Program
- AACSB accredited
The finance degree prepares students for professional careers by providing a solid foundation in the principles necessary to make operating decisions for an organization and in financial market analysis. We educate our finance majors to understand, evaluate, and manage risk. In addition, students learn to conduct and effectively present financial analysis and research valuing complex projects, assets, securities, and firms.
Finance majors explore the relationships among investors, firms, financial institutions, markets, and regulators. Students majoring in finance have a unique opportunity to compete globally, as well as regionally, for unique and diverse job opportunities, including government (U.S. Treasury and the Board of Governors), large financial corporations (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac), international organizations (World Bank and IMF), and other careers related to finance.
All students have opportunities to
- conduct independent research
- engage in globally-related activities through coursework and language study at Mason and abroad
- participate in many forms of public service
- prepare for their future careers through internships, career-focused minors and other college-to-career activities
Total credits: 120
School of Business students pursuing a BS degree must complete a minimum of 120 credits, including the Mason Core requirements, business foundations, business core and major requirements. In addition, the following requirements must be met:
- A minimum of 45 credits at the 300- or 400-level.
- A minimum of 30 credits of School of Business core and major courses at Mason.
- At least 9 credits required for the specific major and BUS 498 Capstone Course: Advanced Business Models (Mason Core) taken at Mason.
- A grade of C or higher earned in the business foundations, business core and major requirements.
Students should carefully examine prerequisites for School of Business courses. Students may be removed from a course if they enroll without having fulfilled the prerequisites.