Wartburg College is an accredited, institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (N.A.S.M.). Students completing the American Music Therapy Association (A.M.T.A.) approved music therapy degree program are eligible to sit for board certification by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (C.B.M.T.). Wartburg is the only private college in Iowa to offer the music therapy major. Completion of the Bachelor of Music Education or the Bachelor of Music Education/Music Therapy degree leads to licensure in education in the state of Iowa.
The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degree is offered for those who wish to complete the coursework aligned with the requirements set by the American Music Therapy Association to qualify for becoming a Board-Certified Music Therapist. A six-month internship post coursework is required before sitting for the board certification exam.
Music Department Fast Facts
- Wartburg offers four-year majors/degrees. This means one year less tuition and one more year of salary when compared with a state university.
- The college offers the only B.A. in church music in Iowa.
- Wartburg is the only private college in Iowa with a music therapy degree.
- The music department boasts a 100 percent job/graduate school placement rate for ALL graduates.
- Wartburg is one of only three colleges in Iowa to be certified by N.C.A.T.E. (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education).
- The college is the only Iowa school that offers ethnomusicology as an active part of the music curriculum.
- Music education students start field experience in their first year.
30¾-31¼ course credits:
- Any BI 202 prerequisite
- BI 202 Human Anatomy and Physiology
- ED 212 Human Relations
- MU 105 Music Theory I
- MU 106 Music Theory II
- MU 107 Aural Skills I
- MU 137 Instrumental Methods: Drums
- MU 158 Therapeutic Improvisation
- MU 176 Voice Methods I and
- MU 177 Voice Methods II or
- MU 229 Voice Pedagogy I
- MU 183 Introduction to Music Therapy Fieldwork
- MU 184 Music Therapy Pre-Practicum
- MU 194 Functional Guitar Class
- MU 196 Therapeutic Guitar
- MU 205 Music Theory III
- MU 207 Aural Skills II
- MU 210 Principles of Music Therapy
- MU 211 Music Therapy Musical Foundations
- MU 214 Music Therapy in Medical and Mental Health
- MU 284 Music Therapy Practicum I
- MU 285 Music Therapy Practicum II
- MU 312 Psychology of Music
- MU 313 Music and Behavior: Therapeutic Approaches
- MU 315 Music History I
- MU 316 Music History II
- MU 318 20th-Century Music
- MU 324 Conducting
- MU 382 Music Therapy Practicum III
- MU 383 Music Therapy Practicum IV
- MU 405 Music Therapy Internship
- MU 410 Current Issues in Music Therapy
- MU 485 Music Therapy Practicum V
- PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 224 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 225 Life Span Human Development or
- SW 201 Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- PSY 321 Research Methods and Data Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences or
- SW 321 Social Work Research
- SW 202 Group and Organizational Behavior
- SW 250 Current Topics in Social Work Practice (½-1 course credits)
- One non-applied music course credit
- Four major applied music credits
- Two minor applied music credits
- Participation in music ensemble each term
- Pass basic guitar skills test
- Pass basic piano skills test, if non-keyboard emphasis
- Pass freshman jury
- Pass music therapy pre-practicum competencies
- Pass sophomore barrier
- Third-year recital (15 minutes)
- Fourth-year recital (30 minutes) or senior presentation
Bachman Fine Arts Center
Opened in 1991, the Bachman Fine Arts Center houses the departments of music and art. The Bachman Fine Arts Center offers excellent equipment and facilities for rehearsal and practice, 50 grand and upright pianos, 22 practice rooms, and 16 music studios. The building also houses a music therapy facility that includes an observation laboratory. The Presser Music Technology Classroom is equipped with computer equipment, MIDI keyboards, and software for composition, music theory, and ear training. Art facilities include a gallery, graphic design computer stations, classrooms, and studios.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 4, 2018