This course studies the best ways to design, build, maintain and evaluate software systems. It uses many of the technical aspects of computer science, especially programming, and aims to develop the professional attitudes, interpersonal and technical skills you will need in the software engineering industry.
The course provides a solid foundation in software engineering theory and practice to develop professional software systems. It will equip you to take up a wide range of career opportunities, including software engineer, web application programmer, software designer/analyst or website designer/programmer.
You will study software development, programming languages, technologies and applications including Java, C/C#, UNIX, UML, graphics, networks, concurrent systems, databases, artificial intelligence, and web and mobile computing. You will share a common first year with the Computer Science BSc Honours course; you can transfer in Year 1, and specialise in Year 3.
The Software Engineering BEng emphasises fundamental principles, design, acquisition of practical skills and evaluation of technologies. You may go on to complete an integrated Masters programme with the award of an MEng degree after four years.
This programme is accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, for fully meeting the educational requirement for Chartered IT Professional (CITP) status and for partially satisfying the underpinning knowledge requirements set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) and the Science Council for Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng or IEng) status as well as for Chartered Scientist (CSci) status. Note that there are additional requirements, including work experience, to achieve full CITP, CEng, CSci or IEng status. Graduates of this accredited degree will also be eligible for professional membership of BCS (MBCS).
The BCS accreditation is an indicator of the programme’s quality to students and employers; it is also an important benchmark of the programme’s standard in providing high-quality computing education, and commitment to developing future IT professionals that have the potential to achieve Chartered status. The programme is also likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
One of the following (or equivalent qualification):
- A Levels – BBC/A*A*
- International Baccalaureate – 26 points
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended National Diploma/National Diploma – DMM/D*D*
- Access to HE Diploma – Pass with 45 credits at Level 3 with a minimum of 27 Level 3 credits at Merit or Distinction.
In addition to one of the above, you should have:
- Plus GCSE English and Mathematics with a minimum grade 4 (grade C in the grading system prior to 2017). Equivalent qualifications are also considered.
If your first language is not English, you should have an IELTS score of 6.0 overall, with a score of 5.5 in each element.
- International Baccalaureate – 26 points
If your first language is not English, you should have an IELTS score of 6.0 overall, with a score of 6.0 in each element.
Career development centre
Our Career Development Centre has just been shortlisted for the Best University Careers Service in the National Undergraduate Employability Awards for 2017.
With a growing network of over 3,000 employers around the world and a team of experienced careers consultants, we are here to help you succeed.
In 2015–16, we helped over 1,500 students find work placements across a range of sectors, with 250 employers attending 14 on-campus skills and careers fairs.
As a Westminster student, you’ll have access to our services throughout your studies and after you graduate.
We can help you:
- find work placements related to your course,
- find part-time/vacation, placement and graduate jobs, including voluntary experience,
- find international opportunities to enhance your employability,
- market yourself effectively to employers,
- write better CVs and application forms,
- develop your interview and enterprise skills,
- plan your career with our careers consultants,
- meet employers and explore your career options at our employer fairs, careers presentations and networking events throughout the year.
About the School
The University of Westminster is a dynamic international education institution with a distinguished 175-year history. With three campuses in central London (Cavendish, Marylebone and Regent) and one i ... Read More