The field of computer systems is one of the fastest-growing fields of engineering and one that has a very visible impact on modern life. Our course opens the door to a career in computing wherever digital, mobile or network systems are involved.
Traditional computer systems engineering focuses on the engineering and integration of hardware and software systems which fulfil useful purposes. For example accessing video-on-demand, music and live TV coverage, as data can be distributed across the globe.
Now, with the rise of cloud computing and the latest generation of large-scale networked systems, computer systems engineering is at the cutting edge of a range of technological developments.
Why Study BEng Honours Computer Systems Engineering?
This BEng degree is the basis for a wide range of engineering-based careers. Our pioneering and specialist Computer Systems Engineering degree prepares students for entry into an exciting career. They will be taught in high-tech labs by experts and have access to specialist equipment. You will be part of a well-resourced department studying among like-minded and ambitious students.
The special features of the programme are:
- Practical hands-on work in modern ESD protected labs to illustrate the application of theory and concepts.
- Practical competencies in computer communication systems and computer networks.
- Students have an edge as the University works with companies such as Microsoft, Dell EMC, IBM, Oracle and SAP in addition to being Cisco Net Academy – meaning the student will have access to the latest equipment and can make use of specialist teaching materials and workshops.
- Programme content is enriched by providing industry engagement opportunities to students through industry speakers and field trips.
- Enrolment into the CISCO academy and opportunity to complete CCNA course.
- Develop project management skills related to engineering and computer networks projects and the opportunity to implement these skills in the final year project.
- Develop transferable technical skills as well as a strong background in professional ethics.
- Career coaching is available through the Careers and Employability Service.
- Option to transfer to London campus.
Students will study core modules such as computer networks, fundamentals of STEM (science, technology, engineering & mathematics), data communications, digital communications and systems, software engineering, internet-scale and real-time systems development.
The course will focus on the design of systems and services such as the use of cloud computing technology for data storage and distribution, that enable effective, secure and reliable global communications. Students will have the opportunity to put what you have learned to practical use and make valuable industry contacts. Throughout the course, they will build confidence to develop and implement modern technologies relevant to electronic products and systems.
Module and programme information is indicative and may be subject to change.
Note: Both core and optional modules are constantly updated and under review. As with most academic programmes, please remember that it is possible that a module may not be offered in any particular year, for instance, because too few students opt for it. Middlesex University reserves the right to vary or withdraw any course or module.
- Programming for Data Communication and Problem Solving (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Fundamentals of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Computer Networks (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Computer Systems Architecture and Operating Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Digital Systems Design (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Research Methodology and Professional Project Management (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Protocols and Network Performance Modelling (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Engineering Software Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Real-time Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Internet-Scale Applications and Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Individual Project (30 Credits) - Compulsory
- Embedded Linux System and Application Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Kevin Ku / Pexels
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Park campus Sunday to Thursday between 8:30 am and 6:30 pm. Additional sessions may be scheduled over the weekend or holiday periods and you should expect to receive notice of these in advance.
You will be actively involved in a range of learning, teaching and assessment approach as part of your programme. These approaches ensure that you are involved and engaged by placing you at the centre of your own learning. You will be required to actively participate in learning activities and engagement with your fellow students, both individually and collaboratively. Faculty increasingly use existing and emerging technologies and your programme will be facilitated using a variety of media and online tools (My Learning on UniHub, podcasts, wikis, etc.) which will allow you access to a diverse range of online resources and learning materials. By engaging in e-learning you will also be developing skills of which are essential for your learning and highly valued by employers. Such skills including flexibility, communication, IT skills and teamwork.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following international qualifications are normally considered for admission:
Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
Indian Secondary School Certificates
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All-State Boards may be considered: minimum grade of 60% overall.
- Minimum two, maximum of three subjects, with grades of B, B, C (three subjects) or with A*, A* (two subjects)
- You must have passed the full IB Diploma. In some cases, applicants will also need to have studied certain subjects at Standard or Higher Level. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
- Students who have completed their GCSEs are eligible to join our International Foundation Programme – a one year programme to prepare students for entry onto our Undergraduate Programmes. Please note that students must meet the British AS and A Level entry requirements in order to gain entry into the First Year of any one of our Undergraduate Programmes.
UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination
- UAE’s General Secondary Education Certificate Examination Grade 12 (Tawjihiya) plus successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)*** or equivalent programmes
Pakistani National Curriculum
- Completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university / college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the Middlesex University’s International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Iranian Pre-University Certificate
- A minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
West African GCE
- Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)***
American High School Diploma
- Students with American High School Diploma are eligible to join our Foundation programme. However, if you have passed the American High School Diploma with the university required GPA and SAT or ACT or AP Scores you may be eligible for direct entry into Year 1 of the undergraduate programme. If you are unsure about the suitability of your qualifications or would like help with your application, please contact us for support.
BTEC Level 3
- BTEC Level 3 qualifications***** (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme
- ***** BTEC qualifications (QCF) (suite of qualifications known as Nationals) are acceptable both on their own and in combination with other qualifications. Applicants are expected to have studied for the Diploma or Extended Diploma. The Certificate, Subsidiary Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma are expected to be studied in combination to equal that of at least the Diploma (for example, the Subsidiary Diploma would need to be offered in combination with either a Diploma or two GCE A levels).
Note: *** International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme to prepare students for entry to Undergraduate programmes
This list shows only a selection of qualifications. If your high school system does not appear here, please contact our Admissions Office and we will be able to advise you further.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0 (minimum 5.5 in each band)
- TOEFL Internet-based: 72 (17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
- PearsonPTE Academic: 51
- PearsonPTE General: Level 3
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level English (as a first or second language): Grade C or Higher
- CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: Minimum grade of 70% in English
- International Baccalaureate: Minimum grade 4 in English A1 (Standard or Higher Level) in IB OR a minimum of grade 5 in English B (Higher Level)
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum (WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE): Minimum grade “C6“
Future Careers and Employability
The degree prepares you for a wide range of careers. Graduates will have excellent career prospects and the range of potential employers will be vast across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. There is also the potential to develop their entrepreneurship skills and establish their own business. This course opens the door to a career in computing wherever digital, mobile or network systems are involved. Recent graduates have progressed onto masters courses or have secured jobs with global companies in the wireless and digital design, network design and implementation, network planning, mobile internet applications and services development. Careers include key roles as an Application Developer, ICT Manager, Network Engineer, Software Engineer, Systems Developer and IT Project Manager. Links with the employment market is established by visiting speakers from relevant sections of the industry. Our industry partners offer internships, deliver visiting lectures, assist with field trips and recruit at the University’s Careers Day each year.
About the School
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research. Middlesex University Dubai is the first overseas campus of the internationally re ... Read More