Civil engineers contribute significantly to the development of society by planning, designing, constructing and managing infrastructure. The construction of buildings, bridges, roads, tunnels, ports, harbours, drainage systems, and water treatment plants are all carried out by civil engineers. The BEng Civil Engineering programme at XJTLU provides a theoretically comprehensive and industry-oriented learning experience.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU undergraduate programmes, will earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
Why Should I Study Civil Engineering At XJTLU?
- The programme is accredited by Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), UK which will enable you to become a chartered engineer recognised worldwide.
- The opportunity to enroll in the exchange programme at the University of Leeds, UK for Year Three of your studies.
- Most of our graduates go on to further studies at the world’s top universities in countries such as the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, and Netherlands.
- Highly dedicated international academic staff will provide you with a better learning experience and full support throughout your academic career at XJTLU.
- Modules incorporate active learning activities such as site visits, field work, lab experiments, computer analysis, and use of in-class technology enhanced learning methods.
- The opportunity to work with academic staff on current research projects as research support students and potentially contribute to research publications.
BEng (Hons) Accredited CEng (Partial)
This degree is accredited as:
1. fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
2. partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the BEng Civil Engineering programme, you will:
- be able to undertake a civil engineering design project (given clearly defined requirements and constraints)
- understand the principles of project management and be able to allocate project resources effectively
- understand and be able to apply modern construction practices
- be able to critically apply a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques relevant to the analysis and solution of civil engineering problems
Modules: Year One
UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of modules together with mathematics, physics, language classes, and core skills for your degree.
Modules: Year Two
You will be introduced to the fundamental modules that are essential for civil engineering and for higher level studies. These modules are mathematics, basic structures, materials, fluids, surveying, engineering skills, geology, and management.
- Design for engineers
- Differential equations for engineers
- Introduction to management
- Solids and structures
- Fluid mechanics
- Engineering skills
- Introduction to materials
Modules: Year Three
Year three will help to further develop your fundamental knowledge on various subjects. You will be offered modules related to structural analysis and design, construction materials and methods, hydraulics, soil mechanics and project management. You will also gain experience in designing a small-scale structure considering different aspects of civil engineering in the module Capstone Design I.
- Construction methods
- Engineering structures
- Reinforced concrete and steelwork
- Numerical methods
- Water resources engineering I
- Civil engineering project management
- Basic soil mechanics
- Capstone design I
- Construction materials
- Structural behaviour and modelling
Modules: Year Four
In the final year, you will learn more about advanced analysis and design-related theory together with real world practical examples. You will be offered structural design theory on steel, timber, and masonry. You will also be offered modules related to foundations, earthquakes, environment and construction management. Capstone design 2 will guide you to design a large-scale structure. Finally, you will undertake an individual research project of an investigative nature across two semesters of year 4.
- Environmental studies
- Foundation engineering
- Structural dynamics
- Advanced soil mechanics
- Structural steelwork, timber and masonry
- Construction management
- Earthquake engineering
- Capstone design II
- Water resources engineering II
- Final year project
The completion of the degree at XJTLU will allow you to select from a wide range of career paths either as a graduate civil engineer or a postgraduate student. Most of our graduates go on to further their studies at the world’s top universities or are offered high-profile employment opportunities in private and governmental sectors. Civil engineers mainly work as structural engineers, project managers, consulting engineers, construction inspectors, hydraulic engineers, geotechnical engineers and researchers.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More