The BEng Civil Engineering programme prepares graduates for a career in civil engineering, as well as giving them quantitative and other transferable skills that may be applied in a wide variety of industries. The programme is uniquely positioned to take advantage of China’s economic transformation and unprecedented urbanisation to educate technical professionals that have an international outlook and that can meet the industrial development requirements of the next century. Students will be introduced to both the theory and practice of design and construction. Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU undergraduate programmes, will earn two degrees: an XJTLU degree from the Chinese Ministry of Education and a globally recognised degree from the University of Liverpool, a member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities.
BEng (Hons) Accredited CEng (Partial)
This degree is accredited as:
fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
- partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
See www.jbm.org.uk for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng.
Unique selling points of the programme
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the BEng Civil Engineering programme, you will:
• be able to undertake a civil engineering design project (given clearly defined requirements and constraints)
• understand the principles of project management and be able to allocate project resources effectively
• understand and be able to apply modern construction practices
• be able to critically apply a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques relevant to the analysis and solution of civil engineering problems.
Modules: Year One
UK degrees are three years long whereas in China they are four, therefore we do accept students with certain qualifications directly into Year Two, which is the start of the main academic programme. Most students, however, enter into Year One, which provides you with a range of interesting modules, language classes and core skills for your degree.
Modules: Year Two
In Year Two, you will be introduced to the core subjects that are essential for all civil engineers.
• Design for engineers
• Engineering mathematics
• Introduction to management
• Solids and structures
• Fluid mechanics
• Engineering skills
• Introduction to materials.
Modules: Year Three
Year Three will help to develop your knowledge further in order to apply this to practical design and construction projects.
• Construction methods
• Engineering structures
• Reinforced concrete and steelwork
• Numerical methods
• Water resources engineering I
• Civil engineering project management
• Basic soil mechanics
• Capstone design I
• Construction materials
• Structural behaviour and modelling.
Modules: Year Four
In the final year, you will undertake an individual project of an investigative nature across two semesters.
• Environmental studies
• Foundation engineering
• Structural dynamics
• Advanced soil mechanics
• Structural steelwork, timber and masonry
• Construction management
• Earthquake engineering
• Capstone design II
• Water resources engineering II
• Final year project.
BEng Civil Engineering graduates are typically employed as graduate trainees within major civil engineering consultancies, contracting organisations or utility companies. Some will use their analytical, communication, management, business and IT skills to pursue a career outside the engineering profession. The programme also provides a sound basis for further graduate study in the field of civil engineering.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 30, 2017