- Degree: Product Design and Manufacture (2+2, 4+0) BEng (Hons)
- Types of study: Full-time
- Duration: Three or four years depending on entry qualifications
- Start date: September 2020
For the 2+2 programmes, you will spend the last two years on our UK campus. For the 4+0 programmes, you will spend your entire degree programmes in Ningbo China with ‘study abroad’ opportunities.
©University of Nottingham Ningbo China
This course equips you for a career in product design, industrial design or in the product development sector, and is aligned to the way the design process is conducted in the industry today. You will develop your creativity, backed by a thorough understanding of engineering issues, to ensure that products can be manufactured within the constraints of time, cost and quality.
The course values creativity whilst emphasising an understanding of manufacturing, ergonomics and materials.
For domestic students, the course structure follows the Chinese higher education system and is based on a four-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
For international students, the course structure follows the UK higher education system and is based on a three-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
The preliminary year in Engineering aims to improve English language and study skills as well as enhance understanding of mathematics and the physical sciences.
- CELEN048 Undergraduate Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts (20 Credits)
- CELEN052 UG English in Specific Academic Contexts B (Engineering; Comp Sci; Env'mental Sci & Architecture) (20 Credits)
- CELEN069 Oral Communication Skills A (10 Credits)
- CELEN082 Oral Communication Skills B (10 Credits)
- CELEN036 Foundation Algebra for Physical Sciences & Engineering (10 Credits)
- CELEN039 Foundation Science A: Physics (10 Credits)
- CELEN040 Foundation Science B: Chemistry (10 Credits)
- CELEN037 Foundation Calculus and Mathematical Techniques (15 Credits)
- CELEN038 The Scientific Method (10 Credits)
Typical year two modules
- MMME1014 Industrial Design Professional Practice (20 Credits)
- MMME1020 Drawing for Design (20 Credits)
- MMME1039 Statics and Dynamics (20 Credits)
- MMME1044 Engineering Design and Design Project (20 Credits)
- MMME1043 Materials and Manufacturing (20 Credits)
- MMME1042 Mathematics for Engineers (20 Credits)
You will develop further design skills and commercial awareness in year two. There are several design projects throughout the year, complemented by modules in the areas of design techniques, manufacturing, ergonomics and business.
Typical year three modules
- MMME2015 Materials in Design (10 Credits)
- MMME2023 2nd-year design projects (20 Credits)
- MMME2039 Design Communication (20 Credits)
- MMME2040 Industrial Design and Professional Practice 2 (20 Credits)
- MMME2020 Design for Manufacture (10 Credits)
- MMME2024 2nd-year group design project (20 Credits)
- MMME2041 User-Centred Research and Design (20 Credits)
You continue to develop design skills through project work and the modules studied to become more in-depth. This includes a major design project undertaken in the final semester along with a dissertation. By the end of the course, you will have developed skills in product design, materials, and manufacture that will enable you to undertake creative professional practice in the fields of product design or product development.
Typical year four modules
Compulsory - Students must take all modules in this group.
- MMME3034 RSA Design Projects (20 Credits)
- MMME3035 Manufacturing Process Capability (10 Credits)
- MMME3095 Major Design Project Preparation (10 Credits)
- MMME3096 Industrial Design Professional Practice 3B (10 Credits)
- MMME3033 BEng Major Design Project (60 Credits)
Restricted - Students must take a minimum of 10 credits from this group
- MMME3024 Computer-Aided Engineering (10 Credits)
- MMME2012 Engineering Management 1 (10 Credits)
- MMME3036 Fibre Reinforced Composites Engineering (10 Credits)
©University of Nottingham Ningbo China
This course is accredited by the Institute of Engineering Designers (IED).
Careers and further study
Studying for a degree at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China will provide you with the type of skills and experiences that will prove invaluable in any career, whichever direction you decide to take.
Throughout your time with us, our Career Development Office can work with you to improve your employability skills even further; assisting with job or course applications, searching for appropriate work experience placements and hosting events to bring you closer to a wide range of prospective employers.
Have a look at our careers page for an overview of all the employability support and opportunities that we provide to current students.
Among the 44 graduates from BEng (Hons) Product Design and Manufacture in 2019, 33 chose to continue their studies.33.3% of them were admitted into the top 50 universities in the world.
|2020 QSWorld University Rankings||University||Number|
|8||University College London||6|
|9||Imperial College London||2|
|42||University of Sydney||1|
|47||The University of Queensland||1|
|50||Technische Universiteit Delft||1|
Scholarships, sponsorships and bursaries
To encourage academic excellence, we offer a comprehensive and expanding range of full and partial scholarships.
Historically nearly 30% of our undergraduate students were awarded scholarships for their entry. Once enrolled, current students are eligible for additional merit and/or performance-based scholarships and awards, which covers approximately 32.5% of our whole student body.
Depending on your academic and English language qualifications, you may be eligible for a traditional three-year degree programme, or a four-year programme with a preliminary year enabling you to gain the subject-specific knowledge and skills required to embark on degree-level studies.
Please find the entry requirement relevant to your country of origin on our website. If your country is not listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a mainland Chinese student, your Gaokao score should be in the first division as a minimum requirement, and your English test score should be no less than 115/150. For more details, please check the Chinese version prospectus.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English or your entry qualification was not obtained in the English medium (from an approved institution) you are required to provide evidence of your proficiency in English. Minimum requirements:
- IELTS 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in writing) – eligible for the three-year programme;
- IELTS 5.5 (no less than 5.0 in writing) – eligible for the four-year programme;
- PTE Academic 62 (minimum 55) – eligible for the three-year programme;
- PTE Academic 55 (minimum 51) – eligible for the four-year programme.
You should be at least 18 years of age on admission to the University. The date of "admission" is defined as the first day of September in the relevant academic year. This requirement may be waived on an individual basis if your parents or guardians give their written agreement in advance to additional safeguards and requirements.
About the School
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, we ... Read More