BEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering (2+2/1+2/4+0/3+0)
Chemical Engineering is the processing of materials on a commercial scale to make useful and valuable products. Typical processes and products include petroleum refining, petrochemical, bulk chemicals, fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, food processing, fuels and energy production, water treatment and minerals processing. The course will equip graduates to work at a professional level on activities such as process design and plant operations management. The study programme provides students with core scientific and engineering knowledge together with a range of transferable skills including IT, communications, management, analysis, and problem-solving. Opportunities to work on projects and practical experimentation occur in all years of the course.
The degree is offered as a three or four-year programme depending on your entry qualification. Students have the option to study the whole course in China (3+0 or 4+0) or spend their last two years at The University of Nottingham, UK (1+2 or 2+2).
Year One (Preliminary year - Ningbo) N.B. This year is not compulsory for students with appropriate qualifications for year two entry.
In this foundation year, the focus is on a special programme and English for academic purposes. Designed by highly-experienced staff at the University's Centre for English Language Education, this programme prepares students fully for their degree courses. Common modules of study across all degrees include:
- written and oral communication and study skills
- sciences such as physics and chemistry maths for engineering and computer science
- engineering communication and IT skills. This module will have a hands-on approach to ensure competency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Additionally, the module involves the use of a software environment (eg MATLAB) to help solve engineering and mathematical problems related concepts and methods studied during the year while introducing programming technical material in drawing, schematic and graphical format.
Students work in small groups to develop their academic English language skills.
Year Two (Qualifying Year-Ningbo)
Common modules of study covered in the first part of the year across all courses include:
- professional engineering skills
- engineering mathematics
- engineering solid mechanics
- fluid mechanics and hydraulics
- introduction to electrical and electronics engineering
Specialized modules include:
- applied chemistry
- process engineering fundamentals
- heat and mass transfer
- separation processes fundamentals
- process engineering project
Year Three (Part I-Nottingham or Ningbo)
Students focus on common process operations and equipment including design methods. Other subjects include:
- environmental protection
- chemical thermodynamics
- engineering management
There is intermediate scale laboratory work
Year Four (Part II-Nottingham or Ningbo)
Students will undertake laboratory pilot plant-scale work.
Key subjects include:
- safety and project management
- study of reactors
- high added-value product design
Students will work on a large group project plus specialized topics of interest.
About the School
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China, in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education. It is run by The Unive ... Read More