- Degree: Architecture (4+0) BEng (Hons)
- Types of study: Full-time
- Duration: Three or four years depending on entry qualifications
- Start date: September 2020
For the 2+2 programmes, you will spend the last two years on our UK campus. For the 4+0 programmes, you will spend your entire degree programmes in Ningbo China with ‘study abroad’ opportunities.
©University of Nottingham Ningbo China
The course provides an open and holistic education in architecture aiming to form the next generation of architects and design thinkers to create better and inspiring built environments. The programme is designed to encourage creativity and innovation while responding to the professional requirements of architectural education.
You will develop an in-depth understanding of the contemporary architectural debate and allow you to develop independent and critical thinking. It also provides a variety of hands-on projects, exercises, workshops, and facilities for students to work.
- Creative problem-solving ability in the design of the built environment, founded on awareness, knowledge and understanding of the contemporary local and global architectural discourse;
- An understanding, knowledge and ability to design and practice architecture within the local context of China, as well as at an international level;
- Appreciation of the aesthetic values of means of individual expression, and capacity of communication through, imaginative use of appropriate media;
- Understanding of the principles of sustainable environmental design, and knowledge of the materials, methods, and techniques relevant to the design and construction of buildings and urban spaces;
- Capacity to articulate critical thinking and propose original reflections on themes of relevance to the theories and practices of architectural design;
- Understanding of the national and international framework of professional design practice and knowledge of the contextual regulations of the construction industry;
- Independent approach to learning, promoting appropriate research methods of design investigation and fostering lifelong education.
The degree is offered as a three or four-year programme depending on your entry qualification.
- For domestic students, the course structure follows the Chinese higher education system and is based on a four-year program.
- For international students, with relevant qualifications, the course structure follows the UK higher education system and is based on a three-year program.
The preliminary year is designed to help you develop your English language skills so that you can make the most of your degree programme.
This special English language programme designed by the English for Academic Purposes experts at the University's Centre for English Language Education is carefully integrated with academic content modules so that you are prepared fully for years two to four of your degree programme.
*Note: This year is not compulsory for students with appropriate qualifications for year two entry.
- CELEN048 Undergraduate Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts (20 Credits)
- CELEN069 Oral Communication Skills A (10 Credits)
- CELEN059 Architectural Drawing and Graphics A (15 Credits)
- CELEN052 UG English in Specific Academic Contexts B (Engineering; Comp Sci; Env'mental Sci & Architecture) (20 Credits)
- CELEN082 Oral Communication Skills B (10 Credits)
- CELEN060 Architectural Drawing and Graphics B (15 Credits)
- CELEN053 Principles of Design (15 Credits)
- The Scientific Method (10 Credits)
Year two compulsory modules (qualifying year)
- ABEE1023 Architectural Design Studio 1A (20 Credits)
- ABEE1021 Tectonics 1 (20 Credits)
- ABEE1020 Integrated Design in Architecture 1 (10 Credits)
- ABEE1019 Environmental Science for Architects 1 (10 Credits)
- ABEE1022 Architectural Humanities I: History of Architectural Meaning from Antiquity to the Present Day (20 Credits)
- ABEE1032 People Buildings Landscape (10 Credits)
- ABEE1018 Architectural Design Studio 1b (30 Credits)
Year three compulsory modules (Part 1)
- ABEE2022 Architectural Design Studio 2A (30 Credits)
- ABEE2027 Tectonics 2A (10 Credits)
- ABEE2025 Integrated Design in Architecture 2A (10 Credits)
- ABEE2024 Environmental Science for Architects 2 (20 Credits)
- ABEE2023 Architectural Design Studio 2B (30 Credits)
- ABEE2028 Tectonics 2B (10 Credits)
- ABEE2021 Architectural Humanities II (10 Credits)
Year four compulsory modules (Part 2)
Compulsory - Students must take all modules in this group.
- ABEE3024 Architectural Humanities III: Critical Theory and Interpretation (10 Credits)
- ABEE3025 Architectural Design Studio 3 (70 Credits)
- ABEE3026 Integrated Design in Architecture 3 (20 Credits)
- ABEE3027 Practice and Management (10 Credits)
Restricted - Students must take a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 10 credits from this group.
- ABEE3028 Urban Design Theory(elective) (10 Credits)
- ABEE3029 Building Information Modelling & Management (10 Credits)
©University of Nottingham Ningbo China
This course is accredited by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA Part 1).
Careers and further study
Studying for a degree at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China will provide you with the type of skills and experiences that will prove invaluable in any career, whichever direction you decide to take.
Throughout your time with us, our Career Development Office can work with you to improve your employability skills even further; assisting with job or course applications, searching for appropriate work experience placements and hosting events to bring you closer to a wide range of prospective employers.
Have a look at our careers page for an overview of all the employability support and opportunities that we provide to current students.
Among the 38 graduates from BEng (Hons) Architecture in 2019, 18 chose to continue their studies. 38.9% of them were admitted into the top 50 universities in the world. One student is admitted by the University of Nottingham as a PhD.
The curriculum is designed on international standards founded on the well-established UK pedagogic tradition of architectural education. On completion of the Part 1 programme at UNNC, students are offered a broad range of opportunities in professional practise or in further education both in China and internationally.
Graduates from this programme can enrol in postgraduate architecture courses, such as masters and PhDs, at The University of Nottingham, UK, at other UK Universities as well as in universities in China, Asia, Europe, and the US. The Department will provide support to graduates for admission to further degree programmes.
Graduates from this programme will be able to join architectural practices as Part 1-equivalent graduates in most parts of the world. This will allow graduates to gain professional experience and further develop skills that are required to join programmes of further education or develop a career in architectural practice. The Department provides support for our graduates for placements and internship during and after graduation.
|2020 QS World University Rankings||University||Number|
|8||University College London||4|
|50||Technische Universiteit Delft||3|
Scholarships, sponsorships and bursaries
To encourage academic excellence, we offer a comprehensive and expanding range of full and partial scholarships.
Historically nearly 30% of our undergraduate students were awarded scholarships for their entry. Once enrolled, current students are eligible for additional merit and/or performance-based scholarships and awards, which covers approximately 32.5% of our whole student body.
Depending on your academic and English language qualifications, you may be eligible for a traditional three-year degree programme, or a four-year programme with a preliminary year enabling you to gain the subject-specific knowledge and skills required to embark on degree-level studies.
Please find the entry requirement relevant to your country of origin on our website. If your country is not listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a mainland Chinese student, your Gaokao score should be in the first division as a minimum requirement, and your English test score should be no less than 115/150. For more details, please check the Chinese version prospectus.
If you are not a mainland Chinese student, a satisfactory portfolio of art/design work is required.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English or your entry qualification was not obtained in the English medium (from an approved institution) you are required to provide evidence of your proficiency in English. Minimum requirements:
- IELTS 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in writing) – eligible for the three-year programme;
- IELTS 5.5 (no less than 5.0 in writing) – eligible for the four-year programme;
- PTE Academic 62 (minimum 55) – eligible for a three-year programme;
- PTE Academic 55 (minimum 51) – eligible for the four-year programme.
Minimum age requirements
You should be at least 18 years of age on admission to the University. The date of "admission" is defined as the first day of September in the relevant academic year. This requirement may be waived on an individual basis if your parents or guardians give their written agreement in advance to additional safeguards and requirements.
About the School
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, we ... Read More