The new BEd Social Studies is affiliated to the University of Cape Coast and will be offered on the Akropong Campus.
This programme is multidisciplinary in nature and draws on disciplines such as Economics, Sociology, Geography, Planning, Education and Administration. It is designed to equip the student-teachers with reflective and critical thinking skills which enable them to discuss intelligently, issues and problems encountered in the society.
The programme prepares the student-teachers to teach in Basic and Second Cycle Institutions. It also prepares them to effectively participate in economic, civic and political activities in the society. Graduates can be employed as Teachers, Development Consultants, Development Analysts with National Development Planning Commission, Development Planning Officers, Social Policy Analysts, Environmental Analysts and Researchers at Research Organizations.
Date of Commencement: September 2016
- Regular and Weekend
- (Long Vacation Module PROGRAMME starts from June 2017)
- WASSCE/SSSCE/A-LEVEL Holders: 4 years
- Diploma Holders: The duration is 2 years
General Entry Requirements for WASSCE/SSSCE Applicants:
Senior High School Applicants must possess at least grade A1-C6 in WASSCE and A-D in SSCE in three (3) Core Subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science or Social Studies) plus three (3) elective subjects, including one of the following: Geography, History/Government and Economics. The total aggregate of the six subjects should not exceed 36 for WASSCE Applicants and 24 for SSSCE Applicants.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level Applicants:
Passes in three (3) subject including one of the following subjects Geography, History/Government and Economics (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English, Mathematics and a Science Subject.
- Applicants must be 25 years and above.
- They must pass three entrance examination papers: General Paper, Education, and a special paper in their preferred subject areas e.g., Geography, Economics and History/Government.
- Successful candidates will need to pass a selection interview in addition.
- Applicants must have a Diploma in Education (Social Studies) with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division) and those who have less than Lower Division should have at least two years working experience
- Applicants will need to pass a selection interview
- Successful candidates will complete the programme in two (2) years.
International applicants with similar grades as Ghanaians will also be admitted and placed at the same level as their Ghanaian counterparts
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018