The health care sector is growing very fast and the health-related issues are becoming more important. Accordingly, the need for managers and specialists able to handle health management issues is becoming essential. One of the main challenges of health management is decreasing the cost pressure and increasing medical technology while assuring the best efficiency levels.
To achieve this, health management specialists and managers with knowledge in health care together with business and economics are required. The B.Sc. Health management in AFU in Dubai is designed to be the stepping stone of the students to a brilliant future. This is achieved by providing them with a high level of knowledge and technical skills which enables them to build their career and future.
The Overall Program Structure and Curricular Design
The program is offered as a four-year program inclusive of a preliminary year. If needed, this preliminary year provides the students with intensive training in English, which is the main language of instructing courses. It also provides computer skills that are essential to introduce students to the technological revolution that continually produces fresh information, and help them monitor such breakthroughs on the internet and universities worldwide.
The degree is awarded upon successful completion of the Health Management Program comprising 123 credit hours, normally completed in a minimum of three academic years. Each semester is composed of 15 weeks excluding the final examination period.
To protect and advance humans health through developing and applying the knowledge to prevent disease and protect the general public from harm.
- To protect and advance humans health through developing and applying the knowledge to prevent disease and protect the general public from harm.
- To ensure compliance with safety, health, environmental laws, ethics, policies, and regulations to protect humans and the environment.
- To assess the current environmental resources and issues and promote the safety of environments.
- To develop appropriate environmental management plans, advocates, and practices to sustain future environmental resources by incorporating scientific principles
- To develop effective communication skills orally and in writing on various environmental issues
- To deduce, monitor and evaluate environmental data obtained through monitoring different sampling.
- To undertake research activities in well-organized and a clear manner.
- To effectively persuade and clarify ideas and procedures to decision-making parties.
During the four year program, the students will gain insight into the many areas related to health and environmental management including both individuals and societies. The students will be able to evaluate the different current health and environmental management issues and will gain insight on how to develop procedures and policies to sustain the available environmental resources. During the four years program, the students will:
- Develop in-depth knowledge and sufficient skills in the fields’ of environmental science, environmental management, health and environment, and safety and public policy.
- Complete projects using the latest instrumentation and computer technology while emphasizing the many possibilities for sustaining the environment and improving its quality.
- Learn how to work in a safe and ethical manner recognizing the importance of public health issues, health and environment safety and many other issues in health and environmental management at the individual, national, and the global levels.
- Study foundation theoretical and practical core subjects such as biology, chemistry, and mathematics to enhance the students’ ability of thinking and analysis.
- Develop problem-solving abilities and important communication skills including seminar presentation and report writing.
Program Learning Outcomes
- PLO 1- Communicate clearly, concisely, and correctly in the written, spoken, and visual form that fulfills the purpose and meets the needs of the audiences.
- PLO 2- Develop an understanding of various theories, models and techniques and their applicability in changing the business environment.
- PLO 3-Integrate functional knowledge in analyzing and evaluating the organization’s management options and decisions making at the strategic and operational level.
- PLO 4-Possess a basic knowledge of computer, accounting, economics, finance, Health, Tourism, and the legal environment of business, management and marketing skills.
- PLO 5-Recognize how ethical decision making and globalization affect organizations.
- PLO 6-Utilize and management-specific knowledge and skills in the analysis of business and economic problems.
- PLO 7-Apply various available technologies, systems, and computer applications used in environmental health.
Autonomy & Responsibility
- PLO 8- Develop and prepare environmental scenarios to analyze the different available solutions.
Role in Context
- PLO 9- Develop and exhibit professional and personal judgments based on ethical consideration and societal values.
- PLO 10-Think critically, decompose large complex problems into manageable units and apply analytical thinking for solution development.
- PLO 11-Evaluate the different options available to develop and implement programs that protect the environment and to safeguard the health of humanity at the national and global levels.