We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about the College from academics to affordability and beyond.
Our campus has grown from a mere seven acres to a larger campus, comprised of eighteen buildings situated on 400 acres.
BACHELOR OF ARTS/SCIENCE IN INTERDISCIPLINARY LIBERAL ARTS
The degree program in Interdisciplinary Liberal Arts is designed to foster the inquisitive learner, one capable of evaluating methods and techniques for solving problems and proficient in the creation and communication of ideas. Upon completing the program, students may enter the workforce or continue their studies to pursue a profession in fields such as education, ministry, medicine, music, law, journalism, public relations, human services, criminal justice, etc.
The program is both interdisciplinary and flexible, emphasizing the interrelationships among the academic subjects and allowing students to design a course of study, in consultation with the faculty, that best suits their interests. Students may earn either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science depending on whether or not they choose to complete the foreign language requirement necessary for the B.A. degree.
The student will be able to:
- Critique major contributors/periods in the core disciplines.
- Evaluate established theories/viewpoints to contemporary national and international issues.
- Independently use library and technology resources to conduct research that incorporates and properly cites ideas from multiple sources.
- Present conclusions that demonstrate the relationship among different fields of study.
- Use an intermediate proficiency in a foreign language to acquire experiences with people and elements of the corresponding culture(s). (BA only)
Basic Skills (10 s.h.) Hours Required
- IDSTU 1001 or 1003 – College Foundations 1 or 3
- ENGL 1010-1020 – Freshman Composition I & II 6
- COMM 2120 – Oral Communication 3
Mathematics/Science (11 s.h.)
- Science, Lab-based (Choose from Biology, Chemistry, Botany, or Physics)
- MATH 1130 – College Algebra or higher 3 Humanities or Fine Arts (6 s.h.)
- Select from ENGL 2210-2220; ENGL 2410-2420; 3 ENGL 3110-3120
- Humanities/Fine Arts elective 3
Religion (3 s.h.)
- RELI 2210 or 2220 3
Foreign Language (12 s.h.)*
- Elementary level foreign language 6
- Intermediate level foreign language 6
Social or Behavioral Science (6 s.h.)
- History 1010, 1020, 2010, or 2020 3
- Choose from History, Sociology, Psychology, 3
- Economics, Geography, or Political Science
Physical Education (2 s.h.)
- Choose from PE 1050 or any activity course 2
Public Programs (0.5 hrs per semester) 4
Total General Education Required Hours 42-56
Specified Hours for the Degree
Core Topics Courses in Humanities, Math/Science 9 and Social Science
Capstone Course(s) 6
First Concentration** 15
Second Concentration** 9
Third Concentration** 9
Total Specified Hours for the Degree 48
General Education Electives 20-34
(To include CIS 1100 or CIS 1020, or meet proficiency requirements)
Total Hours Required for Graduation 124
Hiwassee College is a place where learning comes in the classroom, but more importantly, it comes from real-world experience. You may be surprised how little you see the desk in front of you. Learning is more than hands-on. It’s real life.
With every corner you turn, you will find adventure. Athletics your thing? We’ve got almost every sport available and are always looking for talented new athletes. More the outdoorsy type? Here, you may find yourself rafting down a river of rapids, hiking a challenging trail, or simply taking in the majesty of the beautiful countryside.
The following list of colleges and universities have verified that they will accept Hiwassee College’s credits either as a direct transfer or case-by-case basis. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is an excellent set of options for students who are earning dual enrollment credits.
- Brevard College
- Bryan College
- Carson-Newman University
- Christian Brothers University
- Clemson University
- Cumberland University
- East Tennessee State University
- Emory & Henry College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Kentucky State University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Maryville College
- Milligan College
- Samford University
- St. Petersburg College
- Tennessee Technological University
- Tennessee Wesleyan College
- Trevecca Nazarene University
- Trine University
- Tusculum College
- University of the Cumberlands
- University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville
About the School
We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about t ... Read More