We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about the College from academics to affordability and beyond.
Our campus has grown from a mere seven acres to a larger campus, comprised of eighteen buildings situated on 400 acres.
CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP (B.A./B.S.)
The Christian Leadership curriculum is designed for students seeking ordained or lay ministry. The program offers a solid foundation in the liberal arts as well as providing more in-depth focus in Biblical studies, theology, church history, and experience in the practice of various aspects of the ministry.
Students may use this program as preparation for further study at the seminary level or to enter various fields of ministry.
NOTE: The Christian Leadership degree program (formerly known as Pastoral Studies) will begin accepting students Fall 2016. In the meantime, students interested in pursuing this degree should take courses that meet general education requirements-electives and consult with their adviser about any existing courses that will fulfill the “Specified Hours for the Major” component of the curriculum.
The student will be able to:
- Articulate a basic understanding of the Bible’s structure, genres, and content.
- Discuss the basic tenets of the Christian faith and their historical development, with a special emphasis on God’s salvific plan.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of various approaches to pastoral care and counseling.
- Identify various strategies necessary to carry out ministry in a local congregation.
Basic Skills (13 s.h.) Hours Required
- IDSTU 1001 or 1003 – College Foundations 1 or 3
- ENGL 1010-1020 – Freshman Composition I & II 6
- COMM 2120 – Oral Communication 3
- CIS 1100 or CIS 1020 3
Mathematics/Science (11 s.h.)
- Science, Lab-based (Choose from Biology, 8 Chemistry, Botany, or Physics)
- MATH 1130 – College Algebra or higher 3
Humanities or Fine Arts (6 s.h.)
- Any Literature except 2900 and 3320 3
- Humanities/Fine Arts Elective 3
Religion (6 s.h.)
- RELI 2210 and 2220 6
Foreign Language (12 s.h.)*
- Elementary level foreign language 6
- Intermediate level foreign language 6
Social or Behavioral Science (6 s.h.)
- HIST 1010 or 1020 3
- SOCI 1010 3
Physical Education (2 s.h.)
- PE 1050 and any activity course 2
Public Programs (0.5 hrs per semester) 4
Total General Education Required Hours 48-62
Specified Hours for the Major* 58
General Education Electives 4-18
Total Hours Required for Graduation 124
*Required for Bachelor of Arts only. Students pursuing the B.A. who have completed two years of coursework in a single foreign language in high school may choose 6 hours of General Education Electives in lieu of 6 hours of elementary level foreign language. Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science choose 12 hours of General Education Electives in lieu of the foreign language requirement.
Hiwassee College is a place where learning comes in the classroom, but more importantl, it comes from real-world experience. You may be surprised how little you see the desk in front of you. Learning is more than hands-on. It’s real life.
With every corner you turn, you will find adventure. Athletics your thing? We’ve got almost every sport available and are always looking for talented new athletes. More the outdoorsy type? Here, you may find yourself rafting down a river of rapids, hiking a challenging trail, or simply taking in the majesty of the beautiful countryside.
The following list of colleges and universities have verified that they will accept Hiwassee College’s credits either as direct transfer or case-by-case basis. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is an excellent set of options for students who are earning dual enrollment credits.
- Brevard College
- Bryan College
- Carson-Newman University
- Christian Brothers University
- Clemson University
- Cumberland University
- East Tennessee State Univeristy
- Emory & Henry College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Kentucky State University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Maryville College
- Milligan College
- Samford University
- St. Petersburg College
- Tennessee Technological University
- Tennessee Wesleyan College
- Trevecca Nazarene University
- Trine University
- Tusculum College
- University of the Cumberlands
- University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville
About the School
We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about t ... Read More